In 1954, Alson E. Braley, MD, chair of the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at the University of Iowa, saw the need for an eye bank in the Midwest and approached the Lions Clubs of Iowa at the Lions State Convention in Fort Dodge, Iowa.
Accepting the challenge, Iowa Lions raised initial funding through their service organization and the Iowa Lions Eye Bank was established at UI Hospitals & Clinics on Sept. 13, 1955.
Sixty-five years later, the Iowa Lions Eye Bank continues to be the only eye bank in the state of Iowa, conducting innovative research into the causes of corneal diseases and performing state-of-the art processing techniques to prepare donated corneal tissue for surgeon needs. The eye bank also plays a key role in promoting donation and providing education regarding the donation process to potential donors and recipients of corneal tissue, as well as the health care and funeral home providers who assist in the process.
Learn more at: iowalionseyebank.org