This week is National Medical Assistant Week.
Medical assistants are an integral part of our patients’ health care teams. They perform a variety of tasks, assisting with check-in, testing, and recording tasks in clinics and procedure areas.
Our medical assistants perform technical, patient care, and related data entry functions under the supervision of a licensed independent practitioner (LIP) such as a nurse or nursing manager. These duties include:
- Assisting with physical examinations
- Documenting care, medications, and patient history using electronic medical record (EMR)
- Performing routine tests and procedures
- Collecting specimens for routine and specialized testing
- Administering medications under the direction of a licensed independent practitioner
Make sure to thank medical assistants this week and every week. You can also recognize them by nominating them for a Helping Hands Award.