UI Health Care has many measures in place to ensure the physical safety and security of our faculty, staff, patients, and visitors.
- We have limited entrances, and each is staffed with security for tightly controlled access. Security personnel patrol the hospital campus externally, as well.
- We coordinate with law enforcement and they let us know of activities that might affect our facilities so we can adjust our operations, if necessary.
- We use the UI Health Care Alert notification system to notify employees of significant prolonged activities that impact our facilities, especially at shift changes. If you have a cell phone, make sure the number is registered for notifications by going to Employee Self Service on The Loop. (The Loop > Employee Information > Employee Self Service > My Self Service > Hawk Alert Change).
This site is provided for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute providing medical advice or professional services. All information is meant for use by health care workers and not the general public. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room immediately. No physician-patient relationship is created by this web site or its use. Neither the University of Iowa nor its employees, nor any contributor to this web site, makes any representations or warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided herein or to its use.
Important safety numbers
Consider saving these numbers to your cell phone so that they’re on-hand and ready if you need them in an emergency.
- UI Hospitals & Clinics Safety and Security: 319-356-2658
- Emergency in UI Hospitals & Clinics: 195 from internal phone
- UI Police: 319-335-5022
Local law enforcement:
- Joint Emergency Communications Center (dispatches to Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty): 319-356-6800
- Emergency: 911
What you can do to support physical safety and security
- Wear your badge so you are quickly identified as a team member.
- Use the designated staff entrances/exits.
- If you see something that causes concern, call UI Hospitals & Clinics Safety and Security at 319-356-2658.
- Have quick access to the UI Hospitals & Clinics internal and external security numbers so you don’t have to look them up.
- If you have a cellphone, register the number under Employee Self Service on The Loop to receive alerts. (The Loop > Employee Information > Employee Self Service > My Self Service > Hawk Alert Change)
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Walk in pairs.
- If you are concerned about being able to access parking facilities or our buildings for work, call your supervisor to discuss options.
- Shuttle van operations—Employee shuttle vans, operated by UI Hospitals & Clinics Guest Services, provide free transportation to the employee commuter parking lots during the following hours:
- The van will depart from the West Campus Transportation stall 1 between 6:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.
- The van will depart from the UI Hospitals & Clinics Fountain Lobby Information Desk Entrance from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- Currently CAMBUS, which also provides transportation to commuter parking lots, is operating under normal conditions, however, Parking and Transportation may modify services in some instances, for the safety of their drivers and you. To check on CAMBUS service, the best source with the most timely information is the Parking and Transportation webpage. In addition, they will send alerts to parking permit holders as soon as there is a change, and we share their information on The Loop.
- Employee shuttle vans, which provide rides to staff who are feeling unsafe walking back to their vehicles, will now pick up and drop off employees at the Fountain Circle entrance only from 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Friday. This saves many employees from having to walk to or from the West Transportation Center for shuttle van transportation.
- Currently CAMBUS is operating under normal conditions, however, Parking and Transportation may modify services in some instances, for the safety of their drivers and you. To check on CAMBUS service, the best source with the most timely information is the Parking and Transportation web page. In addition, they will send alerts to parking permit holders as soon as there is a change, and we share their information on The Loop.
- Security escorts—If shuttles aren’t available and you feel uneasy about walking to or from your vehicle for any reason, call Security (319-356-2658) and they will provide an escort. (There may be wait times.)
- Download the Rave Guardian app—Free to staff and students and offered by the UI Police, this mobile app allows you to schedule a guided walk home or to your vehicle, send anonymous tips to police, and call the UI Police Department with the touch of a button directly from the app.