We are caring for 797 inpatients and have 4,199 outpatient visits today.
High: 86 Low: 71 Mostly sunny
High: 87 Low: 60 T-storms likely
Broadcasts: Need to know
Parking Ramp 2 will be closed for maintenance from 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13, to 3 a.m. Monday, Sept. 16, and again the following weekend. Vehicles will not be permitted to enter the ramp after 4 p.m. on either Friday. Vehicles not removed by 6 p.m. will be relocated. Questions? Contact UI Parking and Transportation at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-335-1475.
News: In The Loop
The challenge was one of the 25 events offered to participating businesses during the games this year and brought in over 1,000 people from 43 businesses around the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area to help save lives.
Eric Dyken, MD, shares that caffeine is a greater threat to a student’s health than students commonly believe, The Daily Iowan reports.
Taryn McGuire, RN, MSN, a nurse on the Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit, was recently nominated for a DAISY Award by a patient, who said, “A truly great nurse is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget. Thank you, Taryn!”
Dylan Mittauer mentally prepared himself for a rough first day on the job in the lab of Isabella Grumbach, MD, PhD. With only the knowledge he gained from his freshman Foundations of Biology course and no previous lab experience, Mittauer felt under-prepared for what awaited him.
Events: Join us
- Spiritual Services Breath Meditation: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. today, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Meditation Room (Level 12)
- Distinguished Biomedical Scholars lecture: “The Metabolic Biology of the Endoplasmic Reticulum in Health and Disease,” 4 to 5 p.m. tomorrow, Prem Sahai Auditorium, 1110 MERF
- Science Thursday: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, outside MERF, with food trucks and musician Justin Goodchild
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar: Youssef A. Kousa, MS, DO, PhD, on “Identifying Genetic Risk Factors in Congenital Zika Syndrome,” noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16, Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Ponseti Kids for a Cause Fun Run: 8:15 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, Coralville Marriott
- Kickoff to Kinnick 5K: 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21. UI Dance Marathon proceeds benefit pediatric patients and their families at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
- The Joint Commission is on-site: Remember safe medication practices. Label medications not immediately administered. Make sure medications, including saline flushes, are secure at all times (locked or under constant observation). Follow appropriate medication wasting protocol. Be aware of non-opioid pain management options. Remove patient labels from waste bags. Follow the hospital PRN medication order process.
- Hardin Library offers a variety of upcoming workshops for researchers on topics such as HawkIRB, TriNetX, EndNote, REDCap, and more.
- During Child Passenger Safety Week (Sept. 15 to 21), all car seat orders placed through the Safety Store at the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital—in-store and online at uichildrenssafetystore.org—are 10% off their already low prices.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Men and women ages 58–80 with no metal implants are invited to participate as controls in a research study on metal hip replacements. This study will include one visit that will last approximately one hour and include a blood draw. Compensation. Email email@example.com or call 319-384-9643.
Outside UI Health Care
UI is seeking state funding to help return the heart of campus to its original use of serving the educational and academic needs of students, Iowa Now reports.
Iowa City residents may toss storm debris in with their other yard waste for curbside pick-up, but there are size and weight restrictions on what the city workers will collect, Little Village Magazine reports.
North Liberty was included in USA Today’s list of America’s 50 Best Cities to Live, ranking number 36, City of North Liberty reports.
It’s become a solemn and sacred ritual in the U.S. each Sept. 11—pausing for part of the day to remember the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks, CNN reports.
Apple Inc. caught up with hardware rivals yesterday by revealing a triple-camera iPhone, and it rolled out a streaming TV service priced at $5 a month, undercutting Disney and Netflix, Reuters reports.
The next generation of doctors will start their careers at a time when physicians are feeling pressure to limit prescriptions for opioid painkillers, NPR reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.