We are caring for 782 inpatients and have 4,351 outpatient visits today.
- Halloween is tomorrow! All individuals working, learning, and volunteering at UI Hospitals & Clinics are reminded that the Professional Appearance Policy (HR-03.21) prohibits holiday or event-themed costumes, including Halloween costumes.
- The Department of Radiology and HCIS are conducting a survey of users’ experiences viewing patient images in Epic and are interested in your feedback and suggestions to improve their services. Please take this five-minute survey to share your input.
- Do you know a staff member or team that is making a positive difference in the results your workplace is achieving? Nominate them for an Improving Our Workplace Award (I.O.W.A.) by Nov. 1.
Keeping you in The Loop
UI Health Care provided $334,167,322 of value in community benefits to Iowa communities in FY18, according to the most recent annual assessment of community benefit program and services recently reported to the Iowa Hospital Association.
Anil Marian, MBBS, MD, FRCA, was thrilled when he learned that his stunning photos of birds in flight would be displayed at the Carver College of Medicine’s 13th annual Examined Life Conference.
Mark Chapleau, PhD, will receive the 2019 Iowa Physiological Society Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of a career devoted to science and to the professional society.
UI researchers Mario Zanaty, MD, and David Hasan, MD, investigated whether aspirin can aid in the prevention of intracranial aneurysm rupture by hindering aneurysm growth, MedicalXpress reports. Their findings were recently published in the Journal of Neurosurgery.
Events: Join us
- Employee flu vaccination clinic: 9 a.m. to noon tomorrow, University Capitol Centre
- Science Thursday: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, with food trucks
- UI Faculty and Staff Health Fair: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, UI Field House Main Deck
- Sepsis State of the Art Conference: Nov. 7 and 8, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
- 12th Annual Faculty Women’s Symposium: Difficult Dialogues, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 28, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Parents and their infants under 6 months are invited to a research study at the UI Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. Compensation. Contact Sleep Development Lab: 319-400-8540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
A UI-led study has found that a series of Southern California earthquakes last summer increased stress on the Garlock Fault, a major earthquake fault line that has been dormant for at least a century, Iowa Now reports.
Since July 1, the Iowa Department of Transportation has issued more than 46,000 “blackout” plates, KGAN reports.
The study shows two in every five young adults reported a substance use disorder in the past year, KCRG reports.
A Dallas hospital livestreamed a surgery yesterday, showing doctors operating on a young woman’s brain while she was awake and speaking, ABC News reports.
The Washington Nationals won a wild and at times controversial Game 6 of the World Series over the Houston Astros, CBS Sports reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.