We are caring for 766 inpatients and have 4,289 outpatient visits today.
High: 50 Low: 21 Mostly sunny
High: 31 Low: 17 Sunny
- UI Hospital & Clinics main campus and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital will experience a cable TV video outage on Saturday, Nov. 9, beginning at 12 a.m. and lasting until approximately 6 a.m. In-house channels #104–137 will still be available during this outage. Questions? Call the HCIS Help Desk at 319-356-0001.
- Print a free short story at the new Literary Kiosk in the Janice and Bruce Ellig Children’s Library, on loan from the UI Libraries. Or contribute your own writing to our kiosk.
- Radiology images can now be viewed on Epic Haiku and Canto for iOS devices (Apple). To view radiology images, use the PACS Images—Vue Motion link in the Results report. The link will launch Vue Motion as it does in Hyperspace. Images will be available from internal wireless, external wireless, and cellular networks.
News: In The Loop
The UI Sports Medicine Clinic is 10 years old and growing. Recent upgrades include new expertise in women’s health and foot and ankle care, along with same-day and next-day appointments and evening hours. And the clinic’s leaders continue to look for new ways to meet the needs of active people of all ages and skill levels.
The American Association of Critical Care Nurses has awarded the Silver Beacon Award for Excellence to the UI Hospitals & Clinics Burn Trauma Center, marking the first time the center has applied for and received a Beacon Award.
Terry Wahls, MD, and her team were recently the recipient of a $2 million gift to study the effectiveness of a therapeutic lifestyle (diet, stress reduction, and exercise) on reducing symptoms and improving quality of life for patients with multiple sclerosis.
Events: Join us
- OB/Gyn Postgraduate Conference 2019, Updates in Urogynecology: The Intersection of Urology, Obstetrics, and Gynecology, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8, Hilton Garden Inn, Iowa City
- Surgery Postgraduate Conference: What Every General Surgeon Needs to Know, Friday, Nov. 8, 2117 MERF
- Faculty seminar: Negotiation Skills Workshop, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13, Melrose Conference Rooms I and II (Elevator M, Level 5), register by emailing email@example.com
- Skills for Educators Workshop: Clinical Teaching, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 21, 4999 JPP (Elevator I, Level 4)
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The Departments of Orthopedics and Urology invite adult males who have been experiencing testicular/epididymal/scrotal content pain for longer than 3 months to participate in a research study. Study requires an office visit with urology, four surveys, a physical exam, and X-rays. If interested, Call 319-356-2421 to schedule an appointment.
Outside UI Health Care
The UI Threat Assessment Program is a helpful resource when a student or colleague displays a concerning behavior, Iowa Now reports.
UI alumni Barry Jackson came back to his alma mater and talked about his experiences working as a top aid to former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner and as a senior staff member to George W. Bush, The Daily Iowan reports.
Students at the University of Wisconsin will soon be able to get dining hall food delivered by robots, KWWL reports.
The project uses a webcam, projector, 3D printed adapter, and retroreflective fabric to make a car’s A-pillars invisible by displaying the image of the blind spot behind them onto the pillar, CNN reports.
After years of work, the AAMC is releasing the first-ever, across-the-board set of skills physicians and trainees need to ensure safer, high-quality care, AAMC reports.
The brain waves generated during deep sleep appear to trigger a cleaning system in the brain that protects it against Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases, NPR reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.