We are caring for 770 inpatients and have 4,283 outpatient visits today.
High: 28 Low: 10 Sunny
High: 24 Low: 22 Wintry mix
Broadcasts: Need to know
Thank you to everyone who took our Internal Communications survey in January. Read about what we’ve learned and what we’re doing to provide greater transparency, fewer emails, and more of the information you need.
News: In The Loop
A new target may help improve treatment for children with relapsed B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (B-ALL), the most common type of childhood cancer.
Iowa is full of firsts. In light of Women’s History Month: Did you know that Mary Ross, MD, was America’s first anesthesia resident and received her training here at the University of Iowa in 1923?
Loreen Herwaldt, MD, and Priyadarshini Pennathur, PhD, presented an invited talk on personal protective equipment (PPE) design problems to a standing committee within the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.
Events: Join us
- Spiritual Services Labyrinth Walk: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow, East Room (Elevator D, Level 8); open to patients, staff, and visitors
- “Understanding the Genetics of Inflammatory Bowel Disease”: Ezra Burstein, MD, PhD, 3 p.m. tomorrow, Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1)
- “Artificial Hearts: A Controversial Medical Technology and its Sensational Patient Cases”: 6 to 9 p.m. Friday, April 5, 1220 1st Ave, Coralville
- Iowa City Hospice Walk for Dignity: 1 p.m., Sunday, April 28, Willow Creek Park, Iowa City
- 21st Annual Update in Infectious Diseases: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, April 26, hotelVetro and Conference Center, Iowa City
- Air-Handling Units serving Level 6 JPP (Labor and Delivery, NICU Bay 1) and Level 5 JPP (SNICU waiting, hyperbaric, Cancer Center offices) are down now until midnight tonight. Questions? Contact Trishul Dahya at 714-719-6488.
- The Carver College of Medicine is soliciting speaker nominations for the Distinguished Biomedical Scholars Lecture Series beginning in the fall 2019.
- A new set of guidelines for minors who are completing non-paid internships or volunteering in research laboratories in the UI Carver College of Medicine was recently established. Questions? Contact Keith Clasen, senior HR director, at 319-335-8994 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate to the UI Women’s Health fundraising campaign “For Iowa. With Women.” to help advance women’s health care in Iowa.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Individuals who smoke a half-pack of cigarettes or more daily and want to stop smoking are invited to participate in a smoking cessation study. Four visits. Compensation. Contact 319-356-1810 or email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
After two years without a permanent provost, the UI announced that Montserrat (Montse) Fuentes will assume the role of executive vice president and provost, effective June 28, The Daily Iowan reports.
An IIHR (Iowa Institute of Hydraulic Research) researcher is working out how amphibious vehicles can operate in the perplexing surf zone, Iowa Now reports.
The fire yesterday was at the Hodge-Hieronymus Square development, which is being constructed to feature two seven-story towers with hotel, office, retail, and apartment space, KCRG reports.
Should you friend your patients? Is it OK to post about #MeToo? What about discussing cases online in the most generic terms? Leaders in academic medicine are rolling out guidelines, AAMCNews reports.
The famed Santa Anita racetrack has suspended horse races indefinitely because of an excessive number of horse deaths due to injuries at the track, CNN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.