Be kind to your mind. You may experience increased stress during this pandemic. Take care of your mental health.
Today's COVID-19 Updates
C-19 adult inpatients: 15 yesterday, 308 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 14 to date
% positive C-19 tests: 5% yesterday, 12% to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported): 2 yesterday, 246 to date
Telehealth screenings: 376 yesterday, 26,500 to date
Keeping you in The Loop
Marta Hamity isn’t one to sit on the sidelines. “I am the sort of person who needs to help,” says Hamity, PhD, assistant professor of anesthesia in the Hammond Laboratory. “Helping during difficult times keeps me feeling motivated; keeps me moving forward.”
With heavy workloads, fitness classes being canceled, and increased stress levels, we’ve put together some tips on healthy dietary and exercise habits—provided by UI experts—to ensure our own well-being.
COVID-19 announcements and reminders
- Please eat in designated break rooms or cafeterias. Keeping food out of clinical work spaces is one way to keep our campus clean and safe.
- Did you know that we have several dedicated face shield cleaning stations throughout our campus? We also have signage and instructions available to designate a shield cleaning location for your unit or clinic, available on our We Stand for Safety Hub.
Social shout out
“UIHC is tops in answers, supportive staff, and professional leadership that cares!”
–@uihealthcare Facebook comment #UIHCStrong
We Stand Together
Why does Brenda Van Dee, administrative assistant, mask up?
“I tend to use my weekends marathon walking; this time from North Liberty to Coralville and back. I stopped at the State Hygienic Lab to give a thumbs up and to thank them for all they do for the state of Iowa. We truly do stand together!”
Post a picture of yourself wearing a mask (or shield) on social media and use the hashtag #MaskUpIA to show how you keep yourself and others safe. Or, email your photo to email@example.com and share why you #MaskUpIA.
Other news and updates
- A “Virtual Visit” with our Furry Friends team will run on channel 117 at 1:45 p.m. today. Prizes will be offered for call-in participation.
- The Family Care Center Parking Lot will be closed from 6 p.m. tonight to 3 a.m. tomorrow while parking spaces are cleaned. Please remove your vehicle from the parking lot before that time.
- The 25% employee discount on food purchases offered by Food and Nutrition Services will be discontinued on Monday, August 3.
- The pandemic. The economy. Our jobs. Our families. Sometimes we just need a listening ear. Visit with Chaplain Christine Wagner-Hecht from 11 a.m. to noon and Chaplain Mark Comer from noon to 1 p.m. on Thursdays in the Marketplace Dining Room.
Outside UI Health Care
Iowa is currently one of four known states sharing driver’s license information with the U.S. Census Bureau, The Daily Iowan reports.
Police are warning residents about a bison roaming the roadways west of Hudson, KCRG reports.
Drier air is moving in and will make it feel a bit more comfortable in eastern Iowa, CBS2 reports.
The earthquake was centered 60 miles south-southeast of Perryville, Alaska, CNN reports.
Iowa’s star center Luka Garza has a decision coming up that will have a significant impact not only on the 2020-21 Hawkeye men’s basketball team, but on college basketball as a whole, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.