We are caring for 806 inpatients and have 4,026 outpatient visits today.
High: 35 Low: 4 Mostly cloudy
High: 17 Low: 7 Mostly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Thank you to all faculty and staff for keeping our hospitals and clinics running despite the challenging weather conditions today. Safety is our top priority, and we’d like to extend our appreciation to those staff who stayed late to ensure patient care and hospital services continued until relief arrived.
The UI DeGowin Blood Center is in critical need of Types O-negative and O-positive whole blood donors. Donate from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1) or visit the UI DeGowin Blood Center (Elevator B, Level 2). To sign up for an appointment, visit uihc.org/degowin or call 319-356-2058.
News: In The Loop
UI Health Care has opened a new UI Urgent Care Clinic at 2591 Holiday Road in Coralville, along with a new location for Occupational Health.
Gen Shinozaki, MD, was awarded a five-year, $3.1 million grant from the National Institute of Mental Health to study the correlation of epigenetic marks between human brain tissue and peripheral tissues.
What is a “just” culture? CEO Suresh Gunasekaran explains to The Gazette: It’s how we improve outcomes.
*Subscription service, limited access
The next candidate is Fred S. Lamb, MD, PhD, who will present “The Topography of Reactive Oxygen Signaling: How Do Redox Signals Cross Membranes?” from noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow in the Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2).
Events: Join us
- MLK Human Rights Week Distinguished Lecture: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 22, Prem Sahai Auditorium, 1110 MERF
- Shelter House Book Sale: 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 28, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, March 29, Johnson County Fairgrounds, Building C
- Lean Improvement Model for Health Care Training: two-day sessions in May, June, September, and November. This highly interactive course teaches and simulates Lean concepts for problem-solving and initiating improvements.
- Weight Watchers at Work meetings: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Braley Auditorium, 011136 PFP (Elevator K, Lower Level)
- Apply now for the Iowa Family Leadership Training Institute, a special leadership opportunity for parents of children ages 3 to 19 with special health care needs. Learn more at chsciowa.org/iflti or contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-356-8637.
- Nominations are open for the 2020 Discovery and Innovation Awards. See the award categories, nomination instructions, and criteria. Nominations are due Feb. 4.
- “Warm the Sole” sock drive is on Level 1 near Elevator E until Jan. 31. Buy an extra pair of socks while you’re out shopping and donate them for local nonprofits.
- Are you prepared for the flu? The UI Health Care pharmacies are here to help, with a 20% discount on many over-the-counter products with the presentation of an employee badge (when possible) or validation in the university directory at checkout.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Children with AD/HD between 4 and 12 years prescribed stimulant medication and exhibiting disruptive behavior are invited to participate in research evaluating behavior and choices. Compensation. Questions? Contact Matthew O’Brien at email@example.com or 319-384-9827.
Outside UI Health Care
Athletes celebrated at the Grand River Center in Dubuque last night, wrapping up two days of competition in the Winter Games of the Iowa Special Olympics, KCRG reports.
The Cedar Rapids City Council approved a naming rights agreement at its Jan. 14 meeting under which the city will receive $500,000 from ImOn Communications over the next five years, Little Village Magazine reports.
Authorities have activated an “emergency watch” and closed the gates of the Steele Bayou control structure yesterday as high-water forecasts threaten the Mississippi River, CNN reports.
Mass evacuations continued today in the Philippines under the shadow of a volcanic plume that blotted out the sun and spread ash across much of the country’s most populous island, NPR reports.
The Hawkeyes men’s basketball team improved their conference record to 3-3 with a 75-62 victory over the Wildcats, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.