We are caring for 785 inpatients and have 4,583 outpatient visits today.
High: 26 Low: 19 Cloudy
High: 43 Low: 26 Mostly cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
Melrose Dining Room closed today
Melrose Dining Room will be closed today to repair damage from a water leak that occurred early this morning. The dining room will reopen by tomorrow at lunchtime. All other Food and Nutrition Services cafeterias are open for their normal business hours.
News: In The Loop
Peg Nopoulos, MD, and her team have received a five-year, $18 million grant from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to continue and expand a decade-long study on brain development in children at risk for developing Huntington’s disease.
Congratulations to our newest Helping Hands Award winner, Sean Nollen, nursing assistant on 3 RCE.
Sukirth Ganesan, BDS, PhD, and Shannon Lea Watkins, PhD, have been awarded a one-year, $30,000 American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant through Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center.
UnityPoint emergency room physician Jeffrey Brown felt inspired to begin his own campaign similar to that of the ‘Iowa Legend’ Carson King for children’s mental health, The Daily Iowan reports.
Events: Join us
- Staff and Volunteer Appreciation Meal: 10:30 a.m. tomorrow, Dec. 12, until 4 a.m. Friday, Dec. 13, multiple locations; bring your badge to scan
- Computational Biology Seminar Series: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Kelch Conference Room (1289 CBRB)
- Fourth Floor Salon holiday sale: 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 16, and Tuesday, Dec. 17, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Provider Communication Program: Various dates through June 2020, half-day program with follow-up coaching
- Are you interested in saving some money and joining a van pool for your daily work commute? To view current van pools and seat openings, visit transportation.uiowa.edu/van-pool-communities-0.
- Learn more about the body-smoothing Obagi lotion, Keraphine. This advanced, targeted therapy to smooth rough and bumpy skin is available at the Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery Clinic. Stop by the clinic near Elevator H, Level 1.
- Reminder: Consent for Operation or Procedure forms have been updated to ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies, including the Iowa Administrative Code, and to provide greater clarity and consistency to patients and providers.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Inpatient nurses in medical-surgical, children’s and women’s, intensive and specialty, and psychiatric services are invited to participate in research about patient safety communication. Compensation. Contact Patricia Groves at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-7117.
Outside UI Health Care
A Hawkeye awakens 4,500-year-old yeast found in museum pottery, Iowa Magazine reports.
The Englert Theater announced the lineup for Mission Creek Festival, bringing in a large array of artists for its annual music and literary festival, The Daily Iowan reports.
Pigeons wearing cowboy hats have been spotted roaming Las Vegas, and the viral videos of the well-dressed birds have the internet talking, ABC News reports.
The 16-year-old climate activist from Sweden is the magazine’s youngest Person of the Year selection, NBC News reports.
New results from the largest long-term study of brain development and children’s health raise provocative questions about obesity and brain function, NBC News reports.
The Hawkeyes will try to extend a three-game winning streak against the Cyclones tonight in Ames, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.