We are caring for 778 inpatients and have 4,108 outpatient visits today.
High: 80 Low: 58 Scattered T-storms
High: 79 Low: 58 Mostly sunny
- On Iowa! events will be held at Kinnick Stadium on the evening on Friday, Aug. 23. A portion of Parking Lot 43 west of the stadium has been reserved for the events. All vehicles must be removed from the designated area by 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 22.
- The COPE Team point of contact has transitioned from Chaplain Noelle Andrew to Chaplain Jeremy Hudson. The COPE Team is available to staff who have experienced a work-related event that may challenge their ability to cope.
- Have a need for a medical device or research tool? Submit your idea to the Biomedical Engineering Senior Design course at bit.ly/BME_Idea. Questions? Contact Colleen Bringman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-5640.
- Did you know you can schedule appointments, including same-day visits and annual physicals, with any of our pediatricians in Johnson County through MyChart? In your child’s MyChart account, click on the “visit” tab, then select “schedule an appointment.”
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Men ages 58 to 80 with no metal implants are invited to participate as controls in a research study on metal hip replacements. Compensation. Email email@example.com.
News: In The Loop
UI researchers are investigating solutions to sudden unexpected death in epilepsy, a subject brought into the spotlight after the recent death of Disney star Cameron Boyce, KCRG reports.
The last time Edward Bell, MD, saw Nolan was when he was caring for him in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Yesterday, Nolan and Dr. Bell had a reunion in the NICU, and everyone was all smiles.
Events: Join us
- Science Thursday: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, with food trucks and band Sweet Cacophony
- Nursing open forums: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1)
- Men’s Health seminar: Nutrition and Weight Management, 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 29, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing
- Skills for Educators Workshop: Interactive Lecturing, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 5, 4999 JPP (Elevator I, Level 4)
- Ann Williamson Leadership and Innovation Event: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 27, East Room (Elevator F, Level 8)
Outside UI Health Care
Facebook is launching a long-promised tool that lets you limit what the social network can gather about you on outside websites and apps, according to The Associated Press.
A federal program recommends people keep their homes between 78 and 85 degrees to promote energy efficiency, suggesting setting thermostats to 85 degrees during the day and 82 degrees when you’re sleeping, CNN reports.
Brazil’s Amazon rainforest has seen a record number of fires this year, with data showing an 84% increase on the same period in 2018, BBC reports.
Rafael Campo, physician and award-winning author, prescribes poetry for students, patients, and doctors, AAMCNews reports.
Former Cedar Rapids Washington pitcher A.J. Puk was called up to the Oakland Athletics’ major league roster and will join the team for the game against the New York Yankees, KCRG reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.