We are caring for 793 inpatients and have 3,821 outpatient visits today.
High: 78 Low: 59 Partly sunny
High: 78 Low: 63 Partly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Fiscal year 2019 was a remarkable year for UI Health Care. Vice President for Medical Affairs Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA, shares highlights from the past year—and outlines challenges and opportunities ahead for FY20.
Blood drive tomorrow, Fountain Lobby
Help us close out summer and ring in the new school year by donating blood at the DeGowin blood drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1). Due to high usage, the UI DeGowin Blood Center is in need of O negative and O positive blood donors. Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. Sign up at uihc.org/degowin or call 319-356-2058.
News: In The Loop
Starting medical school can be stressful, especially if you are a nontraditional student. To ease these students into their first semester, the Carver College of Medicine established the Introduction to Medical Education at Iowa summer program. This unique program mimics a standard week of classes and covers 30% of the fall curriculum.
When her fiancé, Rusty, passed away on April 11, Amber was devastated. She wanted to make sure people remembered him and the people who took such good care of him while he was hospitalized.
Events: Join us
- Science Thursday: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, with food trucks and musician Terrapin Isle
- Advance Care Planning Facilitator Certification: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, Hills Bank and Trust, 1401 South Gilbert St., Iowa City
- Sepsis State of the Art Conference: Thursday, Nov. 7, and Friday, Nov. 8, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center. Early registration deadline is Oct. 20.
- Parking Ramp 2 will be closed for maintenance from 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, to 3 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19. Vehicles will not be able to enter the ramp after 4 p.m. on Friday, and those not removed by 6 p.m. will be relocated. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-335-1475.
- The Corridor Business Journal’s annual “Forty under 40” awards recognize 40 leaders under the age of 40 who are making a difference in the Corridor. Nominations will be accepted until Thursday, Aug. 15.
- UI Dance Marathon allocations applications for fall 2019 (new and renewal) are now available and are due by Aug. 31, 2019. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Print a free short story at the new Literary Kiosk in the Janice and Bruce Ellig Children’s Library, on loan from the UI Libraries. Or, contribute your own writing to our kiosk.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Parents and infants are invited to a research study at the UI Department of Psychology. Compensation. Contact Kochanska Child Lab at 319-335-0500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Iowa City is considering substantial changes to its transit system: Sunday service, expanded hours, and zero fares, The Gazette reports.
There are new warnings about a possible link between severe lung disease in teenagers and e-cigarettes and vaping, CBS reports.
Hundreds of flights were cancelled after protesters flooded the terminal buildings, but Hong Kong airport has resumed operations after a night of chaos, BBC reports.
The first chlamydia vaccine to be tested in humans has been shown to be safe and may protect against the most common sexually transmitted bacterial infection in the world, NBC reports.
The best FantasyPro teams have been calculated, according to Forbes.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.