We are caring for 707 inpatients and have 4,475 outpatient visits today.
High: 88 Low: 55 Mostly sunny
High: 72 Low: 54 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
The ramp from I-380 Southbound to I-80 Eastbound will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. tonight through Friday morning, Sept. 6. Southbound traffic will be detoured to Melrose Avenue. Follow 511ia.org to get the most current information about closures.
Epic: What’s New
See the Epic Status Report for Sept. 3, 2019, for all updates and screenshots.
- E-Consult and Smart Referral orders update and Charge Capture
- Updating the Claim Address for BC/BC Minnesota Payor/Plans
News: In The Loop
September is Women in Medicine Month. All month we’re celebrating UI Health Care providers for the work they do in patient care, research, and women’s health advocacy.
These grant awards fund innovative pilot projects by early career investigators who are entering the diabetes research field, or established investigators with innovative ideas that focus their research program in a new direction that addresses important questions in diabetes research.
Events: Join us
- Schwartz Center Rounds, “A day in the life of AirCare: Managing complex patient situations”: noon to 1 p.m. today, East Room, (Elevator D/F, Level 8)
- Nursing Open Forums: 4 to 5 p.m. today, Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1)
- Hills Bank Financial Wellness Class: “Identify Theft and Fraud Investing in Real Estate,” noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Melrose Conference Center (Elevator L, Level 5)
- Academy for Research Professionals: Wednesdays, Sept. 11, 18, 24, and Oct. 2, noon to 4 or 4:30 p.m., C44-A GH (Elevator BW, Level 4)
- Peer Support Training: 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8)
- The Institute for Clinical and Translational Science is sponsoring a K Club for any faculty planning to submit a K, R, or VA equivalent grant within the next 12 months. They will meet twice a month beginning Tuesday, Sept. 10. Space is limited.
- The Meditation Room in General Hospital (Elevator C, Level 1) will be closed for repairs today through through Thursday, Sept. 5. Please use the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Meditation Room (Level 12) during the closure.
- Are you ready for The Joint Commission? Informed consent is required for invasive procedures. Make sure the consent is procedure specific, signed, and dated prior to the procedure. A pre-procedure verification and time-out process should occur prior to the start of any surgical or invasive procedure. All staff present during a time-out must freeze for the duration of the time-out. Learn more: Protocol for Documentation of Informed Consent
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults 18 to 45 who are in good health may participate in a study looking at three lots of MVA-BN smallpox vaccine produced at different times to see if they each have the same quality. The study lasts nine months with six clinic visits and one phone call or email. Compensation. Call 319-356-4848 or email email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
UI College of Nursing is celebrating the completion of a major renovation project to modernize teaching spaces and create more interactive and collaborative spaces in which its students can learn, Iowa Now reports.
Write Nite, an event hosted by the UI’s Museum of Natural History, allows writers to draw inspiration from the exhibits and use the space to work on their writing projects, The Daily Iowan reports.
Hurricane Dorian pounded away at the islands in a watery onslaught that devastated thousands of homes, trapped people in attics, crippled hospitals, and left at least five dead, The Associated Press reports.
Dr. Amir Khalil has led rescue operations and created sanctuaries around the world for 20 years. Recently, he embarked on his biggest mission: saving animals from a struggling zoo in the Gaza Strip, NPR reports.
Antibiotic resistance is a growing issue worrying many scientists and patients alike, yet scientists hope that recent advances—from reviving ancient cures to enlisting bacteria and slaying viruses—could prevent it, AAMCNews reports.
The Field of Dreams site came alive with baseball legends and fans of all ages at the annual “Team of Dreams” day, marking the 30th anniversary of the beloved movie, CBS 2 reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.