Keeping you in The Loop
Nearly a year after its creation, we’re now able to reflect on what the University Employee Health Clinic’s contact tracing team has learned about the COVID-19 virus—and how it spreads.
The test, available through University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, uses genetic sampling from the child—and sometimes parents—to identify genetic mutations among up to 1,000 genes.
- A number of UI Health Care phones will experience a 10-hour downtime from 8 p.m. on Wednesday, June 16, until 6 a.m. on Thursday, June 17, while upgrades are made.
- Patients can sign up for free to use MyChart. It’s an easy way to manage their health care—including getting test results sooner—from the comfort of home, 24/7.
Did you know the UI offers free health coach services?
We Stand Together
James Choi, MD, assistant dean of student affairs and curriculum and associate professor of anesthesia, grew up in Seoul, South Korea, and moved to Iowa City with his family when he was fourteen years old. Choi’s Asian culture has played a significant role in shaping who he is today.
By the numbers
Total inpatients: 813 today
Total outpatient visits: 4,282 today
C-19 adult inpatients: 9 yesterday, 608 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 41 to date
% positive symptomatic C-19 test results**: 3% yesterday, 13% to date
Telehealth screenings***: 37 yesterday, 23,689 to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported)*: 2 yesterday, 1,668 to date
Employees who have received the first COVID-19 vaccine dose: 8 yesterday, 15,438 to date
Employees who have received both the first and second/final COVID-19 vaccine doses: 11 yesterday, 15,267 to date
Research volunteers invited
- Health care providers are invited to participate in a study expanding access to medication assisted treatment (MAT) for opioid use disorders. Eligible clinicians will complete a free MAT training, which leads to a waiver to prescribe buprenorphine to treat OUD. For details and registration, email Co-MAT-IA@healthcare.uiowa.edu.
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
Events: Join us
- Virtual visit with Furry Friends team: 1:45 p.m. tomorrow on channel 117.
- Spiritual Services: Labyrinth walk, Tuesday, June 15, between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Outside UI Health Care
In a new study, a team of physicists led by the University of Iowa, reports definitive evidence that the most brilliant auroras are produced by powerful electromagnetic waves during geomagnetic storms, Iowa Now reports.
Car dealerships have experienced a shortage of inventory because a chip shortage has shut down some auto plants, KCRG reports.
The Telegraph Fire has scorched 56,626 acres in and near the southern edge of Tonto National Forest, CNN reports.
A vendor on Amazon was discovered selling a pack of blank COVID-19 vaccination cards this week, NPR reports.
The 17-year-old American tennis star breezed past Ons Jabeur in just 53 minutes yesterday, CNN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.