We are caring for 819 inpatients and have 4,695 outpatient visits today.
High: 40 Low: 15 Mostly sunny
High: 29 Low: 26 Mostly sunny
- Submissions are now being accepted for the fall 2020 issue of The Examined Life Journal. The editors seek fiction, nonfiction, and poetry dealing with any aspect of health, disease, or the human condition. Deadline is April 1.
- The entire pneumatic tube system on the UI Hospitals & Clinics campus will be offline for approximately eight hours starting at 8 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 12, and is expected to be operational by 4 a.m. on Monday, Jan, 13. UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing is not impacted by the shutdown.
- The newborn nursery protocol will be live starting Tuesday, Jan. 14. Newborn nursery providers will no longer be entering routine newborn orders for well newborn babies, including late preterm infants. This will be done by OB and newborn nursing.
News: In The Loop
CEO Suresh Gunasekaran spoke with Modern Healthcare recently about the demands of our market, the communities we serve, and why our organization is unique.
*Subscription service, limited access
UI Health Care opens a new midwifery clinic location in Cedar Rapids this week. This clinic will provide pregnancy care and general women’s health care to patients in the Cedar Rapids area.
From decoding the brain’s clock to uncovering causes of Parkinson’s, Carver College of Medicine students are engaged in groundbreaking research and are now featured with other UI student researchers across campus in this year’s Dare to Discover banner campaign.
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatric Research Seminar: Suneet Agarwal, MD, PhD, noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Jan. 13, Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Men’s Health Seminar: The impact of weightlifting and high-impact activities on your pelvic floor, 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 13, Farrell’s Extreme Bodyshaping, 2761 Oakdale Blvd Suite #1, Coralville
- 2020 Sarcoma Symposium: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 29, 2117 MERF
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The Departments of Orthopedics and Urology invite adult males who have been experiencing testicular/epididymal/scrotal content pain for longer than 3 months to participate in a research study. Study requires an office visit with urology, four surveys, a physical exam, and X-rays. Call 319-356-2421 to schedule an appointment.
Outside UI Health Care
Take a look back at the memorable moments of 2019, a year when the university built on excellence in the classroom, in the lab, and in the community, Iowa Now reports.
A lot of trash enters the Iowa City Landfill, KCRG reports. Nearly 127,000 tons of it got put into the ground during the last fiscal year and in that, some hazardous household materials slipped by.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that this year’s flu season is shaping up to be as bad as last year’s, KCRG reports.
Australia is being ravaged by the worst wildfires seen in decades, with large swathes of the country devastated since the fire season began in late July, CNN reports.
Some military families are caught off guard as thousands of troops get called up for Middle East deployment
More than 3,000 service members are set to be deployed to the Middle East as tensions rise following the killing of an Iranian general by the U.S., CNN reports.
Joe Toussaint, a guard on the Hawkeye men’s basketball team, was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week yesterday, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.