We are caring for 767 inpatients and have 4,411 outpatient visits today.
High: 37 Low: 25 Cloudy
High: 37 Low: 5 Chance rain
Events: Join us
- Candidate for Stead Family Department of Pediatrics chair and DEO: noon to 1 p.m. today, Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Fourth Floor Salon sale: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. tomorrow, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Ethics Rounds: Palliative Sedation in End of Life Care—What It Is and When It Should Be Used, noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Melrose Conference Room 1 and 2, 51005 PFP (Elevator M, Level 5)
- Midweek Meditations: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. Wednesdays, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Meditation Room (Level 12)
- VPMA State of the Enterprise: 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, Prem Sahai Auditorium (1110 MERF)
- New Year Financial Coaching Seminar: 9:30 a.m. Friday, Jan. 17, Atrium Conference Room A/B (Elevator D, Level 7)
News: In The Loop
What seemed like a little bug turned out to be much more serious for 4-year-old Jade, Good Morning America reports. She became unresponsive and was rushed to our hospital where she was diagnosed with influenza B. Hear from Alexander Bassuk, MD, about how she’s doing now.
UI Sports Medicine has received accreditation from the Ultrasound Practice Accreditation Council of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. Our specialists use ultrasound in a variety of ways, including making more accurate diagnoses and offering patients the latest minimally invasive treatments.
Join maternal-fetal medicine specialist Mark Santillan, MD, PhD, and clinical psychologist Stacey Pawlak, PhD, from 7 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 23, as they answer questions about maternal health, and how pregnancy and mental health intersect.
- Nominations are now being accepted for the Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women 2019–2020 awards. Consider nominating a colleague, undergraduate, or graduate student for one of the many awards or scholarships.
- Are you interested in saving money and joining a van pool for your daily work commute? View current van pools and seat openings at transportation.uiowa.edu/van-pool-communities-0.
- The UI has partnered with the Eastern Central Iowa Council of Governments to offer university students, faculty, and staff discounted bus passes for 380Express.
- Every patient’s story is personal and can inspire others. Patients and families can share their meaningful or positive experiences with UI Health Care through the “Share Your Story” links on uihc.org or uichildrens.org.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies. Participation is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Questions? Call 319-335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit icts.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
The finalists for the UI’s vice president for student life will participate in open forums during the first two weeks of February, Iowa Now reports.
The nonprofit Teacher Store in Cedar Rapids is handing out free flu kits to help combat a flu season in which flu deaths are up 65% from last year, KCRG reports.
The Iowa State Patrol said this past weekend’s combination of snow and ice might make for an important lesson for the rest of winter, KCRG reports.
Jennifer Gobrecht’s uterus transplant allowed her to have a baby, only the second child in the U.S. to be born through the procedure, BBC reports.
The Philippines remained on alert as authorities declared a “calamity zone” around Taal Volcano, which began spewing ash and lava over the weekend, NPR reports.
LSU defeated Clemson 42-25 to win the college football national championship, its first since 2007, ESPN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.