We are caring for 779 inpatients and have 4,596 outpatient visits today.
High: 21 Low: 10 Mostly sunny
High: 26 Low: 19 Chance snow
Broadcasts: Need to know
Since the Epic upgrade last weekend, a few updates have occurred in how we display outside information in the patient’s chart:
- Care Everywhere (CE) documents appear in line with encounters in Chart Review.
- The CE icon notes which encounters are from external sources.
- CE records are considered external to UI Hospitals & Clinics and should not be re-released.
- Read more at the link above.
News: In The Loop
The UI Carver College of Medicine will host 388 high school students this school year in partnership with Kirkwood Community College’s Workplace Learning Connection, giving students a chance to experience opportunities in the medical field, KCRG reports.
Free patient parking launched one week ago today and, not surprisingly, patients are delighted with the change. Here’s a look at some of the comments and questions we’ve received.
Michael Abramoff, MD, PhD, Joseph Reinhardt, PhD, and Punam Saha, PhD, were recognized as having outstanding records of accomplishments in IEEE fields of interest. The IEEE is the world’s leading professional association for advancing technology for humanity.
Events: Join us
- Are you or your patients and their families looking for a stress-reduction break? Spiritual Services offers Midweek Meditations, 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. Wednesdays in the UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Meditation Room (Level 12).
- Chief Growth Officer Timothy Kan welcome reception: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 18, East Room (Elevator F, Level 8)
- MLK Human Rights Week Distinguished Lecture: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 22, Prem Sahai Auditorium, 1110 MERF
- The Rossi Guest House is in need of donations of new or gently used coats, sweatpants, sweatshirts, T-shirts (L and up), men’s shoes, as well as new underwear and socks. Bring items to Concierge Services (Elevator E, Level 1).
- Did you know the Carver College of Medicine produces a literary journal exploring the confluence of art and medicine? The spring issue of The Examined Life Journal is available for purchase online.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- UI researchers are working on better understanding hazards of farm noise using a noise monitor, phone, and laptop. If you are a farmer and want more information visit this site.
Outside UI Health Care
The center grew from a 1979 pilot program to a crucial resource in student success, Iowa Now reports.
UI President Bruce Harreld declared a climate crisis, but said doing so is not enough unless “concrete action” is taken to address it, The Daily Iowan reports.
A Chilean Air Force plane with 38 people aboard that went missing last night on its way to Antarctica is presumed to have crashed, CNN reports.
Pet owners are buying DNA testing kits to try to figure out their dog’s ancestry, NPR reports.
Merriam-Webster has declared the personal pronoun their word of the year based on a 313 percent increase in look-ups on the company’s search site, ABC News reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.