We are caring for 762 inpatients and have 4,052 outpatient visits today.
High: 84 Low: 63 Mostly sunny
High: 78 Low: 59 Partly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Effective Aug. 6, 2019, a new practice and protocol for the PICC service went into effect for adult patients. Under the new practice, most patients will no longer need a chest X-ray to confirm PICC placement. PICC lines are now placed using 3CG/EKG technology.
News: In The Loop
As a member of the Chart Control team for Internal Medicine for more than 30 years, Carol Everett has ensured critical patient information moved throughout the institution, and up until a couple years ago was a long-time volunteer with the Furry Friends Program.
Free skin cancer screenings will be held at 2019’s Courage Ride for sarcoma research. The screenings will be available from 8 to 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 17, at Big Grove Brewery, Iowa City. Screenings are free and open to the public; no appointments needed.
To kick off the Seventh Annual Quality and Safety Symposium on Nov. 20 and 21, Daniel Runde, MD, MME, and fourth-year medical student Sarah Ziegenhorn will discuss issues surrounding providing care to people with addictions.
Events: Join us
- Midweek Meditation: Breath Meditation: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 14, Meditation Room (Level 12), UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
- White Coat Ceremony: 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, Hancher Auditorium
- Research Services Fair: 1 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, Hancher Auditorium
- Prior to your child’s back-to-school physical, stop by the Safety Store in UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital (Level 1) for a Buzzy, which uses vibration and cold sensation to reduce the pain of needlesticks. Questions? Call 319-356-3543.
- Have a need for a medical device or research tool? Submit your idea to the Biomedical Engineering Senior Design course at bit.ly/BME_Idea. Questions? Contact Colleen Bringman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-5640.
- Over 50 online CME-accredited LGBTQ training options are available free for UI Health Care faculty, staff, and students; includes interactive e-learning courses and recorded webinars.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Women and their partners who are planning to pursue in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment for infertility are invited to participate in a research study to investigate if participation in a psychoeducational group designed to educate patients on stress reduction and coping techniques as well as further information regarding IVF treatment and technology improves quality of life for fertility patients. Email email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
Students in Iowa City are less than two weeks from returning to the classroom, but that hasn’t stopped a summer program from closing its doors just yet, KCRG reports.
Law enforcement agencies and local hospitals across Johnson County will participate in an active shooter drill today at the UI’s Campus Recreation and Wellness Center in downtown Iowa City, IPR reports.
Through a series of workshops and seminars, women from around the world were taught how to find solutions for issues faced by disabled women and girls in their countries, NPR reports.
Scientists are a step closer to being able to cure Ebola after two experimental drugs showed survival rates of as much as 90% in a clinical trial in Congo, according to Reuters.
This week’s BMW Championship takes place at Medinah Country Club near Chicago, and golfers are hoping for 2,000 FedEx Cup points which go to the champ, CBS reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.