We are caring for 720 inpatients and have 4,285 outpatient visits today.
High: 66 Low: 41 Sunny
High: 47 Low: 41 Rain
Broadcasts: Need to know
A Surplus Roundup is being held through April 30 to round up old or unwanted office equipment at UI Hospitals & Clinics. Place a surplus sticker on your items. See details on The Loop, and call 319-356-2277 for stickers or questions.
News: In The Loop
Lace up your shoes and get ready for this year’s Doc Dash 5K run/walk on Saturday, April 13! Proceeds support the Iowa City Free Medical Clinic and the UI Mobile Clinic.
A young woman enters the room and chooses a reclining chair along the far wall. A nurse walks over, pulls up a chair, and begins asking questions: How are you feeling? What happened today? This is the Crisis Stabilization Unit at UI Hospitals & Clinics.
Today’s volunteer spotlight is on Mary-Ellen Lewis, a community volunteer who has volunteered over 2,300 hours at UI Hospitals & Clinics, currently volunteering in the SNICU Family Lounge.
JoEllen Browning, director of Operating Budgets for UI Health Care, passed away suddenly on April 5. The UI Employee Assistance Program is holding individual support sessions at HSSB this week.
Events: Join us
- REDCap Training: Basics, 11 a.m. tomorrow, location provided after registering
- Weight Watchers at Work: every Wednesday in Braley Auditorium (Elevator K, Lower Level); weigh-in at 11:30 a.m. and meeting starts at noon
- Midweek Meditation: Breath Meditation, 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. tomorrow, Meditation Room (Level 12) at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
- Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women: 3 to 5 p.m. tomorrow, IMU 2nd Floor Ballroom; free and open to the public
- Epic upgrade: Did you know? With the new Epic, specialties can now share sticky notes. The new blue sticky note will hold specialty comments about the patient. These notes can be edited by others who share the same specialty. Please add your name and the date when updating shared specialty comments.
- Protect yourself as a student employee. As a UI student, you may be familiar with the threat of phishing—email scams that attempt to steal HawkID passwords and other sensitive info. Data shows that student employees’ HawkID accounts are compromised at higher rates than other students’ accounts. Take these steps to protect yourself.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Children ages 7 to 10 are invited to participate in a study to investigate how children learn to solve math problems. Email Andy at email@example.com for details.
Outside UI Health Care
UI journalism professor David Dowling’s new book tells the tale of the eccentric Writers’ Workshop program and its authors from the post-World War II era to the digital age, The Daily Iowan reports.
The award was presented by the Arbor Day Foundation and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources at the Annual Community Forestry Awards Luncheon in West Des Moines, KWWL reports.
Plan on another nice day today with an area of low pressure affecting our area starting late tonight through Friday, with rain and possible snow to the north, KCRG reports.
Researchers are trying to understand why memory fades as we age and whether we can slow, or reverse, that decline, NPR reports.
The Cavaliers won the NCAA men’s basketball championship last night, a year after being the first No. 1 seed in tournament history to lose to a No. 16 seed, CNN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.