We are caring for 737 inpatients and have 4,302 outpatient visits today.
High: 72 Low: 56 Partly sunny
High: 71 Low: 48 Scattered showers
Broadcasts: Need to know
UI Vice President for Medical Affairs Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA, will host a Focus Forum for UI Health Care employees from noon to 1 p.m. today in the John H. Staley East Room (Elevator D, Level 8), with Brad Haws, MBA, associate vice president and chief financial officer.
Learn more about the symptoms and the recommended treatment if measles is suspected in your patients.
Cable TV outage tomorrow morning
The main hospital complex will experience a CATV video outage from midnight to 6 a.m. tomorrow morning. In-house channels 104–129 will still be available. Questions? Call the HCIS Help Desk at 319-356-0001.
News: In The Loop
The 2019 Culturally Responsive Health Care in Iowa Conference will be held on Friday, May 31, at the UI College of Public Health Building.
Maen Aboul Hosn, MD, a vascular surgeon at UI Hospitals & Clinics, talks about thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) and its symptoms, KCRG reports.
Jennie Yujia Liu is a biomedical science graduate student studying pharmacology. She is researching how changes in the mitochondria play a role in neurodegeneration in diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Events: Join us
- Weight Watchers membership enrollment event: now through Friday, April 19, register at wellness.weightwatchers.com
- REDCap Training: Data Handling-1, 11 a.m. tomorrow, location provided after registering
- Ethics Rounds: Goals of Care and the Moral Dynamic of Shared Decision Making, noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Melrose Conference Rooms 1 and 2 (Elevator M, Level 5)
- Midweek Meditation: Living Peace Meditation, 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. tomorrow, Meditation Room (Level 12), UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
- Peer Support Training: 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday, April 18, East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8); to register, email UIHC-COPE@healthcare.uiowa.edu
- Open house for remodeled Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Clinic: 2 to 4 p.m., Thursday, April 18, near Elevator H, Level 1
- Staff, faculty, and students can purchase their own copy of the new Evidence-Based Practice in Action or download the tools featured in the book by filling out this online form or contacting email@example.com.
- The Bread Garden Cafe offers gift cards for any dollar amount. Stop by a UI Hospitals & Clinics location to purchase.
- Submit non-urgent work requests to Engineering Services, Environmental Services, and Guest Services through the 159 Support Services Center on The Point.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The College of Pharmacy Dermatology Lab seeks volunteers aged 18 to 50 who identify as an ethnic minority with a BMI of greater than 30 kg/m2 to participate in a study on skin repair. Compensation. Complete this survey to begin participation: bit.ly/2CDzNDk.
Outside UI Health Care
Carole Kern took her gardening indoors, growing everything from lettuce to lemons, Iowa Now reports.
Using plastics from trash cans, backyards, and city streets, two graphic design students partnered to create artwork to send a message about our impact on the environment, The Daily Iowan reports.
A northeastern Iowan was confirmed to be infected with measles over the weekend, The Gazette reports. The individual was unvaccinated and recently had returned from Israel, where a measles outbreak has occurred.
A recent survey of bridges has named Iowa as having the third-highest percentage of structurally deficient bridges in the nation that need to be repaired, The Daily Iowan reports.
A massive blaze at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris devastated large parts of the 850-year-old church yesterday, CNN reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.