We are caring for 774 inpatients and have 4,034 outpatient visits today.
High: 81 Low: 65 Sunny
High: 78 Low: 56 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
The Joint Commission visit likely next week
We anticipate a visit from The Joint Commission next week for our full hospital survey. Please be prepared to welcome surveyors and showcase the exemplary care and services we provide to our patients and visitors every day!
News: In The Loop
Not many people can say that they made their career choice when they were just eight years old. But for Sharon Beth Larson, DO, MS, FACOS, FACS, her future was steady and clear: cardiothoracic surgery.
Charles Brenner, PhD, was among a group of scientists who identified a class of drugs targeting cell metabolism that could lead to a new treatment for a prominent childhood cancer, The Daily Iowan reports.
Events: Join us
- Candidates for director of the Office of the Patient Experience presentations:
- Iowa football health care appreciation game: 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, Iowa vs. Rutgers, $15 off
- UI College of Nursing 2019 Nursing Scholar Lectures: series of three lectures by guest speaker Susan Dorsey, PhD, RN, FAAN, on Sept. 9, 10, and 11, on starting a symptom science career and pain research topics
- Iowa Miles for Myeloma: 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, Terry Trueblood Recreation Area, Iowa City
- The sound system at Kinnick Stadium will be tested and in use today from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m., as well as Saturday beginning at 6 a.m. for the 11 a.m. home football game.
- Commuter alert: The I-80 W to I-380 N ramp will be closed tonight from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. tomorrow morning.
- Use the Blind Spots Reporting System to report any staff or faculty concerns or issues that need to be directed to hospital leadership (not for patient information). Find the link on The Point, Incident Reporting page. Download a new flyer to post in your work areas.
- During home football games, beginning one hour before kickoff until 30 minutes after the game ends, Level 12 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is reserved solely for eligible pediatric patients, their parents, and siblings.
- UI faculty and staff can work one-on-one with a health coach to help facilitate goals that impact overall well-being. A health coach is a free, confidential, non-judgmental, and motivational resource.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Women and their partners who are planning to pursue in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment for infertility are invited to participate in a research study to investigate if participation in a psychoeducational group designed to educate patients on stress reduction and coping techniques as well as further information regarding IVF treatment and technology improves quality of life for fertility patients. For more information, please email email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
Members of the UI community are encouraged to participate in refreshing the strategic plan over the next few months, Iowa Now reports.
The Center for Student Involvement and Leadership is splitting into three individual units: the Office of Leadership, Service, and Civic Engagement; the Office of Student Engagement and Campus Programs; and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Programs, The Daily Iowan reports.
A tunnel will cut below the railroad line to extend the sidewalk on South Riverside Drive near Myrtle Avenue to make it more pedestrian-friendly, The Gazette reports.
A fast-moving fire erupted in southern California, exploding from 25 acres to nearly 1,000 acres within five hours, CNN reports.
Britain’s Parliament failed to give Prime Minister Boris Johnson the two-thirds necessary to hold snap elections next month, so he went back to the European Union to try to negotiate a new withdrawal deal, NPR reports.
A productivity expert created a calendar system to help manage time and reduce the urge to procrastinate, NBC reports.
After the first full weekend of the 2019 season, Clemson tops the power rankings of the nation’s top college football teams, ESPN reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.