We are caring for 761 inpatients and have 4,115 outpatient visits today.
High: 83 Low: 60 T-storms likely
High: 74 Low: 57 Sunny
Events: Join us
- Peer Support Training: 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, 1 to 5 p.m., East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8); to register, email UIHC-COPE@healthcare.uiowa.edu
- Postcards from the future: A woman’s guide to financially ever after, 7:30 to 9 a.m. Friday, Sept. 20, Seebohm Conference Room, 283 EMRB
- Out of the Darkness Walk for suicide prevention: noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 22, Coralville Youth Sports Complex
- Project Art presents: Great Performers from New York City: noon, Sunday, Sept. 23, John Colloton Pavilion Atrium (Elevator F, Level 1)
- UI Research Services Fair: 1 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, Hancher Auditorium, with presentation at 5:30 p.m. by Bruce Gantz, MD, on hybrid cochlear implants
News: In The Loop
Spend some time talking with radiologist Maheen Rajput, MD, about diagnostic scans, and there’s a good chance she’ll not only mention the state-of-the art technology at UI Hospitals & Clinics, but also our highly trained technologists.
“When I interviewed at Iowa I knew it was the right fit! The faculty and students were welcoming and kind, and made me feel like I belonged here.” Ellen Kiser is pursuing a PhD in microbiology.
Virginia Willour, PhD, recently received a grant from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to investigate the biology of suicidal behavior. This is National Suicide Prevention Week.
- The Joint Commission is on-site: How is your area improving patient safety? What are your performance improvement initiatives (CLABSI, CAUTI, hand hygiene, etc.)? Remember to use two patient identifiers. How do you prevent falls? How do you prevent alarm fatigue? How do you care for a suicidal patient? Brush up: Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies
- Healthy male, college graduates, ages 38–47 and 50–60 are invited to participate in a research study of normal brain structure and function. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
New UI provost Montserrat Fuentes says her leadership style is collaborative, that she wants people to be the best version of themselves, Iowa Now reports.
UI ROTC hosted its fifth annual stair climbing 9/11 remembrance event, with students and veterans alike sharing their perspectives on and memories of the attack, The Daily Iowan reports.
Named for former UI women’s athletic director Christine Grant, ICCSD’s new elementary school is home to 500 students in North Liberty, The Daily Iowan reports.
Courtroom showdowns still face OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma and the family that owns it, after a tentative settlement was reached yesterday with thousands of local governments, The Associated Press reports.
Astronomers have peered into the atmosphere of an exoplanet—a planet outside our solar system—and discovered water vapor and temperatures that could potentially support life, CNN reports.
Ohio State University has failed to trademark the word “the,” in its wish to be formally called “The Ohio State University,” CBS News reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.