We are caring for 792 inpatients and have 3,957 outpatient visits today.
High: 35 Low: 22 Snow likely
High: 40 Low: 28 Chance rain/snow
Broadcasts: Need to know
Some premium rates and university benefits will change effective Jan. 1, 2020. Please be sure to review changes and make benefits choices for next year before 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 15. If you do nothing during open enrollment, you will remain enrolled in your current benefits selections, with the exception of your Flexible Spending Account.
News: In The Loop
The story of how one respiratory therapist’s discovery brought about product safety changes nationwide.
Approximately $9.6 million from the hospital system margin will be provided for the following projects in research and education this FY2020 year, and at least $42.9 million more in the next four years.
Lois J. Geist, MD, associate dean for faculty affairs and development in the Carver College of Medicine, has been named the new associate provost for faculty in the UI Office of the Provost, effective Nov. 15.
This week’s special Halloween episode features some scary medical student stories.
Events: Join us
- 2019 L.J. Filer Jr. Lecture: Neil Marlow, noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Conference Center auditorium, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Surgery Postgraduate Conference: What Every General Surgeon Needs to Know, Friday, Nov. 8, 2117 MERF
- OB/Gyn Postgraduate Conference 2019, Updates in Urogynecology: The Intersection of Urology, Obstetrics, and Gynecology, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8, Hilton Garden Inn, Iowa City
- AAMC Annual Meeting: UI Health Care reception, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, Hyatt Regency, Phoenix, AZ
- The Carver College of Medicine is seeking nominations for the 2020 Distinguished Alumni Awards through tomorrow.
- Nominations are now open for the Culturally Responsive Health Care Award. Nominations can be made for an individual or group who practices intentional culturally responsive health care. Deadline to apply is Nov. 15.
- UI employees can use the UI Recreational Services facilities at a reduced rate of $19.50/month if they complete certain criteria. There are four facilities with exercise equipment, courts, group fitness classes, pools, and more.
- Hardin Library offers a variety of upcoming workshops for researchers on topics such as HawkIRB, TriNetX, EndNote, REDCap, and more.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Subjects between ages 40 and 70 with Type 2 diabetes are invited to participate in a research study where they undergo vascular function testing following eight weeks of dietary nitrate supplementation. Study requires seven separate visits on weekday mornings. Compensation. Contact 319-335-9808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
UI alum Daisy Torres works in a role that the Iowa City police redesigned to better focus on community outreach and connections, The Daily Iowan reports.
A Cedar Rapids man who is competing in the New York City Marathon on Sunday is helping raise funds for those battling cancer, KCRG reports.
A few selfless souls have signed up to get the flu so that one day, perhaps none of us will have to endure it ever again, CNN reports.
The revelry of one of the most festive days of the year often carries over into hospital emergency rooms, where doctors and nurses treat patients who may have taken their Halloween celebrations a bit too far, ABC News reports.
Firefighters in Southern California braced for another day of gusting desert winds as they confronted twin wildfires that have displaced thousands of residents, Reuters reports.
The Washington Nationals beat the Houston Astros 6-2 in Game 7 of the World Series in Houston last night, NPR reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.