We are caring for 756 inpatients and have 4,011 outpatient visits today.
High: 58 Low: 39 Sunny
High: 68 Low: 51 Mostly sunny
- Do you know a staff member or team that is making a positive difference in the results your workplace is achieving? Nominate them for an Improving Our Workplace Award (I.O.W.A.) by Nov. 1.
- There is currently road construction on 9th Street in Coralville along UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing, until Friday, Nov. 22. Please plan for extra travel time. The traffic pattern has been changed to allow for better traffic flow.
- During home football games, beginning one hour before kickoff until 30 minutes after the game ends, Level 12 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is reserved solely for eligible pediatric patients, their parents, and siblings.
News: In The Loop
UI Health Care’s Breast Imaging Center has walk-in mammography screenings during October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. You don’t need an appointment. Just walk in and we’ll get you screened.
Hanna Stevens, MD, PhD, is studying the links between early brain development and disorders such as autism in conjunction with the Belin-Blank Center at the UI College of Education, NPR reports.
People in distress often turn to those they know rather than seek professional help. Learn how you can help reduce suicide by signing up for online training that will prepare you to lead conversations with people who may be in distress.
William Synan, DDS, was recently recognized with the 2019 Daniel M. Laskin Award for Outstanding Predoctoral Educator in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons annual meeting in Boston, Massachusetts.
Events: Join us
- Men’s Health Seminar: Understanding obstructive sleep apnea: 6 to 7 p.m. tonight, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing
- Carver’s Got Talent: fundraiser for Domestic Violence Intervention Program, noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 22, MERF Atrium
- Project Art presents: Piano recital with Hsin-Hui Liu, noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23, Colloton Pavilion Atrium (Elevator F, Level 1)
- Black Bodies, Medical Science, and the Age of Emancipation: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, Kelch Conference Room (1289 CBRB)
- Kamp Kaleidoscope with Iowa City Hospice: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, River Community Church, Iowa City
- HR Advisory Board: Engage Your Staff, 2 to 2:45 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, 4999 JCP (Elevator H, Level 4)
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- U.S. Citizens invited for research study: online morality survey followed by magnetic resonance brain scanning. Up to an hour in the scanner and thirty minutes outside. Compensation. For screening, email email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
Nothing says Homecoming at Iowa quite like an enormous edifice covered in corn, Iowa Now reports.
The first freeze of the season did hit Iowa’s crops, and despite the dryer weather, wet field conditions only gave farmers about three days to harvest, KCRG reports.
Tests of 168 baby foods from major manufacturers in the U.S. found 95% contained lead, 73% arsenic, 75% cadmium, and 32% mercury, CNN reports.
The warnings will be issued in two ways: a cellphone app called MyShake and the more traditional wireless notification system that sends out Amber Alerts, NPR reports.
For a second consecutive week, UI sophomore Sam Tamborski is the Big Ten Diver of the Week, Hawkeye Sports reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.