We are caring for 735 inpatients and have 3,951 outpatient visits today.
High: 84 Low: 57 Mostly sunny
High: 80 Low: 57 Mostly sunny
Events: Join us
- Iowa Neuroscience Institute Seminar: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, 1289 CBRB
- EMS Fellowship launch: 1 to 3 p.m. Monday, May 21, Hubbard Park, Iowa City
- Stepping On for building confidence and reducing falls: 4 to 6 p.m. Thursdays, May 31 to July 12, Conference Room 0301, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing
- Culturally Responsive Health Care in Iowa 2018 conference: 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, June 8, UI College of Public Health Building
- Brake the Cycle: 15-mile fun ride benefiting the Shelter House, Saturday, June 23, Terry Trueblood Recreation Area
News: In The Loop
A UI-led study measured the response of physicians to updated guidelines, focusing on how frequently physicians used two injections to relieve pain in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
Katie Schneider, MSN, RN, CEN, was honored as the Iowa Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) Educator of the Year, and Heather Andresen, BSN, RN, CEN, as the Iowa ENA Rising Star.
The top hand hygiene performers for the month of April were:
- Best performing unit: 3BT (99 percent)
- Best performing job category: Child life (100 percent)
- Most improved unit: 8JCP (11 percent increase)
- Most improved job category: Nursing unit clerk (76 percent increase)
Patient Financial Services at UI Hospitals and Clinics is using analytics to track reimbursement from payers and patients, process claims faster, and reduce and manage denials, HealthData Management reports.
- Remember to take the Personal Health Assessment on Employee Self Service. It only takes 15 minutes, and you earn an incentive of up to $45.
- How well are you sleeping? If you are tired more days than not following a fitful night’s sleep, your UI EAP has a free sleep program for you. Contact 319-335-2085 or email@example.com.
Using a cell phone while driving, whether hand-held or hands-free, delays a driver’s reaction as much as having a blood alcohol concentration at the legal limit of .08. May is National Trauma Awareness Month.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Subjects between ages 40 and 70 with Type 2 diabetes are invited to participate in a research study where they undergo vascular function testing following eight weeks of dietary nitrate supplementation. Study requires seven separate visits on weekday mornings. Compensation. Contact 319-335-9808 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Lauren Lessing, Mirken Director of Academic and Public Programs at the Colby College Museum of Art in Waterville, Maine, has been named director of the UI Stanley Museum of Art, Iowa Now reports.
Members of the Coralville City Council and economic development groups participated in a groundbreaking for a new events arena to open in 2019 at Coralville’s Iowa River Landing, KCRG reports.
A new case of Ebola has been confirmed in Wangata, a city of nearly 1.2 million people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, CNN reports. Experts fear a newly confirmed case in a densely populated area will complicate attempts to control the outbreak.
The Cherokee Nation created an aggressive program to test for and treat hepatitis C, and officials say it could serve as a national model in the fight against the disease, The Associated Press reports.
A person lost consciousness when a plane was on the ground in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams, MD, and two nurses on the flight responded, ABC News reports.
Roughly 40 percent of the now more than 448 million tons of plastic produced every year is disposable, but unfortunately, a lot of it is ending up in our oceans, National Geographic reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.