We are caring for 748 inpatients and have 3,980 outpatient visits today.
High: 26 Low: 22 Snow likely
High: 36 Low: 31 Mostly cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
UI Vice President for Medical Affairs Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA, will host a Focus Forum for UI Health Care employees from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 16 (new date), in the East Room (Elevator F, Level 8). The forum will cover UI Health Care finances and capital, with Brad Haws, MBA, associate vice president and chief financial officer.
News: In The Loop
Today, Carter is a happy and healthy toddler who loves cars, trains, and planes. But in May 2017, Tiffany and Michael knew something was seriously wrong with their son. It was determined that Carter had an extremely rare kind of blood cancer called juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia.
Twenty Carver College of Medicine faculty members whose published research manuscripts have had a lasting impact on science and medicine were honored at the college’s Wall of Scholarship dedication on Tuesday in the atrium of the Eckstein Medical Research Building.
While the overall number of new cases for most types of cancer in Iowa remains mostly unchanged, cancers related to the human papillomavirus (HPV) are on the rise, according to the 2019 Cancer in Iowa report issued this week, Iowa Now reports.
UI Health Care received the prestigious Press Ganey Success Story Award for their implementation and success of the Compassionate Connected Care (C3) model, among other patient experience enhancements at UI Hospitals & Clinics.
Events: Join us
- New Interactive Data Analytics Service forum: 2:30 to 4 p.m. today, CPHB N512
- Distinguished Biomedical Scholar Lecture: Susan Amara, PhD, “Dynamic regulation of signaling pathways in dopamine neurons: the intracellular actions of amphetamines,” 4 p.m. today, Prem Sahai Auditorium (1110A MERF)
- 6th Annual Cardiology Symposium: 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Thursday, April 11, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, 1220 1st Avenue, Coralville
- Corrected date: Iowa City Hospice Walk for Dignity: 1 p.m., Sunday, April 28, Willow Creek Park, Iowa City
- Epic upgrade: Did you know? With the Epic upgrade March 9, e-prescription errors now appear in Medications & Orders: When the electronic transmission to a pharmacy fails, a “Yield” icon displays in the Medications & Orders section. Hover your mouse over the new yield icon to see more details about the error. The icon disappears when the prescription is printed or faxed to the pharmacy. Learn more on the Epic upgrade site.
- Provider Communication Program: Training for providers to enhance relationships with patients without adding time. Multiple dates to choose from through June, consisting of one six-hour interactive workshop followed by two follow-up observations.
- Regents Award for Faculty Excellence honors faculty members for work representing a significant contribution to excellence in public education. Please submit your nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 8.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Parents and infants are invited to a research study at the UI Department of Psychology. Compensation. Contact Kochanska Child Lab at 319-335-0500 or email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
The UI School of Social Work’s new online master program allows students to pursue a degree from the comfort of their home and while working full time, Iowa Now reports.
UI alumnus Michael Nauman wanted to work for a company where he could have a positive impact on others, and at IT giant Microsoft, he does just that, Iowa Now reports.
The fire at a construction site near Clinton and Burlington streets on Tuesday in Iowa City was caused by a heater coming in contact with combustible adhesives, The Daily Iowan reports.
Mark Zuckerberg wants to reposition Facebook as a privacy-focused platform, CNN reports.
The 12-day journey aboard Aurora Station, scheduled to be in orbit by 2022, starts at a cool $9.5 million per person, BBC reports.
Senior High School (18-3) held on for a 39-36 quarterfinal victory, halting West’s run of eight straight years in the Class 4A semifinals, KWWL reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.