We are caring for 718 inpatients and have 3,610 outpatient visits today.
High: 93 Low: 69 Sunny
High: 93 Low: 73 Mostly sunny
Events: Join us
- Spanish for Medical Personnel courses begin Wednesday, Sept. 19; offering Level 1, 2, and Spanish for Interviews
- Faculty workshop, Write Winning Grant Proposals, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 26, Hilton Garden Inn
News: In The Loop
Click through our gallery for a random assortment of historical photos. We have very few details about them—if you know any background, leave us a comment!
“Everyone of all genders should get the HPV vaccine because the virus can affect and infect anyone. The cancers it can cause can affect anyone.” Pediatrician Rebecca Boscaljon, MD, FAAP, shares information on the importance of the HPV vaccine in children at age 11.
So many listener questions! What does the crew think of med school YouTubers? What’s their advice on great pre-med activities? And how can you overcome shyness working in a lab to make connections with doctors for things like shadowing?
How do you motivate people to get up and exercise more? A team of UI researchers—including Philip Polgreen, MD, MPH—has one potential solution: Turn everyday exercise into a game.
- UI Health Care employees and volunteers are invited to participate in the 40th annual Staff Art Show. Application deadline is 4 p.m. tomorrow.
- The masses have spoken: Nearly 82 percent of you who took our last survey said you’d prefer to receive Noon News five days a week (out of 747 responses). Thanks for your interest in staying informed!
- Junior faculty in any department/college who wish to pursue pilot projects broadly related to basic and clinical areas of cancer research can apply for a seed grant from the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center’s American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant, due at noon Monday, Aug. 6.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Subjects between ages 40 and 70 with type 2 diabetes are invited to participate in a research study where they undergo vascular function testing following eight weeks of dietary nitrate supplementation. Study requires seven separate visits on weekday mornings. Compensation. Contact 319-335-9808 or email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
Iowa City’s recycling staff have been doing major prep work to keep the city clean and green when thousands of RAGBRAI riders visit town on Friday, July 27, The Daily Iowan reports.
Inspired by a project from a UI student, a preschool class in Iowa City has banned together to decrease the use of drinking straws, The Daily Iowan reports.
MidAmerican announced and filed an application to the Iowa Utilities Board to approve their Wind XII Project, with plans to have 100 percent renewable energy by the year 2020, The Daily Iowan reports.
After nine years of quiet work in a secret Silicon Valley location, developers may be closer than ever to making flying cars a reality, CBS News reports.
In a recent study, scientists reported that students in dorms who have air conditioning during heat waves do better on cognitive tests than students who live with the hot temperatures, Newsweek reports.
At age 36, just 10 months after giving birth to her daughter, Serena Williams is heading into the semifinal round at Wimbledon this week, Vox reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.