We are caring for 825 inpatients and have 4,384 outpatient visits today.
High: 53 Low: 30 Chance rain
High: 37 Low: 22 Chance snow
Broadcasts: Need to know
All faculty and staff are encouraged to attend Excellence Every Time, a program focused on safety, quality, and the patient connection. Choose a half-day session March 10 or 11, or August 25 or 26. Transportation is provided.
The UI DeGowin Blood Center is in need of Type O-positive blood donors. Rehab Therapies and Radiation Oncology are hosting a blood drive tomorrow from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Activities Therapy Gym (Elevator I, Level 1). Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins welcome.
News: In The Loop
UI Health Care will open a new UI Urgent Care Clinic—along with a new location for Occupational Health—on Tuesday, Jan. 14, at 2591 Holiday Road, Coralville. The nearby UI QuickCare in Coralville closes permanently after today.
Conventional wisdom says that having just one mutated copy of the cystic fibrosis gene has no effects on a person’s health. But a new study from UI researchers Philip Polgreen, MD, and Aaron Miller, PhD, suggests that may not be the case.
Welcome to our most recent UI Health Care providers who started in December: Niki Popp, MD, anesthesiologist; T. Robert Qaqish, MD, MSc, cardiothoracic surgeon; and Hiroyuki Suzuki, MD, infectious disease specialist.
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatric Research Seminar: Suneet Agarwal, MD, PhD, noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Jan. 13, Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Distinguished Biomedical Scholar lecture: 4 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, Prem Sahai Auditorium (1110A MERF)
- Please refrain from discussing patient information and treatment in public areas. If you must discuss patient information, take precautions to minimize being overheard: Talk in a private area, lower your voice, and limit the information being shared.
- In order to serve the health care needs of our UI employee family, we have worked diligently to ensure UIChoice and UISelect members can get care easier and faster.
- The UI has partnered with the Eastern Central Iowa Council of Governments (ECICOG) to offer university students, faculty, and staff discounted bus passes for 380Express.
- HR policy reminder: In order to promote a fragrance-free environment, staff should not wear perfume or other scents. Fragrances may cause allergic or adverse reactions in others.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Inpatient nurses in medical-surgical, children’s and women’s, intensive and specialty, and psychiatric services are invited to participate in research about patient safety communication. Compensation. Contact Patricia Groves at email@example.com or 319-335-7117.
Outside UI Health Care
The Animal Rescue League (ARL) says it rescued more than 10,000 animals in 2019, breaking a record for the most lives saved in the organization’s history, KCRG reports.
The Science Center of Iowa in Des Moines has announced the IMAX theater may never reopen after flooding caused the popular attraction to close in June 2018, KCCI reports.
More North Americans who looked up into the sky in 2019 found something that didn’t look like a bird or a plane, ABC News reports.
Cuttlefish have the ability to watch 3D movies and react to them much like they would if they saw the real thing out in the ocean, CNN reports.
Some of the greatest increases were found among women and people who were middle-aged and older, NPR reports.
Residents and officials have repeatedly said the impact from the quakes surpasses the devastation of Hurricane Maria, CNN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.