We are caring for 715 inpatients and have 3,576 outpatient visits today.
High: 90 Low: 67 Sunny
High: 84 Low: 64 Mostly sunny
Events: Join us
- Science Thursdays with music by Home Brewed: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today, MERF courtyard
- Hardin Open Workshop, Literature Searching for a Systematic Review, noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 14, East Commons, Hardin Library
- Communication and Professionalism Workshop: 10 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, 4999 JPP (Elevator I, Level 4)
- Social Media 101, open to all UI Health Care staff, noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, Med Alum Auditorium (Elevator BE, Level 3); registration required
News: In The Loop
As he looks to retire next month, Ken Kates’ influence over the past 10 years with UI Health Care is reflected in the growth of patient care volumes, new facilities and technologies, and persistent focus on patient care quality and safety, and operational efficiencies.
Can’t make it to the White Coat Ceremony? Follow along live on the UI’s Facebook page, on Twitter @IowaMed, or with the hashtag #UIWhiteCoat. The ceremony begins at 3 p.m. tomorrow. Learn more about the class of 2022 before the ceremony.
SHPEPers join The Short Coat Podcast crew to discuss the program and how mentorship is crucial for those who are underrepresented in medicine.
- Kudos to the units and job roles that achieved 100 percent hand hygiene last week: 2BT, 2JCP, NICU, PICU, Level 9 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, chaplain, housekeeping, nursing unit clerk, pharmacy, PT/OT, respiratory therapy, and volunteer.
- Grant opportunities: The Division of Sponsored Programs can help you create a custom search for grant opportunities based on the Grant Bulletin. Email email@example.com.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Mothers with babies under 12 months old are invited to participate in a Stead Family Department of Pediatrics study investigating the mother-infant relationship and how drugs of abuse may affect a mother’s brain response to her baby. Compensation is $310 for four visits. Questions? Contact 319-467-5053 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Officials hope an express bus between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City will help commuters skip some of the hassles of interstate driving, especially during construction, CBS 2 reports.
Flooding in northwest Iowa this summer propelled Asian carp toward the Iowa Great Lakes, but biologists say an electric barrier seems to be keeping them out, IPR reports.
Many traditional small-scale organic farmers, like those in Fairfield, Iowa, are fighting back against the industry by appealing to consumers to look closely at the organic milk they purchase, The Associated Press (AP) reports.
U.S. Public Interest Research Group Education Fund lab tests found traces of asbestos, lead, and other dangerous chemicals in a number of popular school supplies, CNN reports.
The Indonesian island of Lombok was shaken by a 5.9 magnitude aftershock, the third big earthquake in little more than a week, CBS News reports.
Francisco Lindor connected for a three-run homer as the Cleveland Indians again moved 10 games ahead of Minnesota in the AL Central, the AP reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.