We are caring for 760 inpatients and have 4,081 outpatient visits today.
High: 79 Low: 56 Sunny
High: 78 Low: 56 Mostly sunny
- The Institute for Clinical and Translational Science is sponsoring a K Club for any faculty planning to submit a K, R, or VA equivalent grant within the next 12 months. They will meet twice a month beginning Tuesday, Sept. 10. Space is limited.
- Are you a nursing mother? Become a milk donor for the Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa. Make a difference with every ounce that you donate for the babies (many of whom are sick, born prematurely). Please contact Kelsey Smith at 319-384-9930 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
News: In The Loop
“Faith was caring, compassionate.” Congratulations to Faith Murphy, BSN, RN, of 2RCW, for receiving this month’s DAISY Award.
Scientists, including Charles Brenner, PhD, professor and DEO of biochemistry, have identified a class of drugs that may have potential to treat a rare and deadly form of brain cancer that affects young children.
At the start of the 2019–20 academic session, Cambus will be implementing changes to the Blue Route and Red Route to improve service. SafeRide will also improve service reliability or offer more frequency of service.
Events: Join us
- Spiritual Services Christian Centering Prayer: 12:30 to 1 p.m. most Fridays, Meditation Room (Elevator B, Level 1)
- Iowa’s New Americans in the Workplace: Valuing Cultural Differences, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, 112 University Services Building
- Heart Failure 360º: A multidisciplinary approach, 7:30 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4, Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies. Participation is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Questions? Call 335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit icts.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
A popular Iowa City fashion brand creating sweatshirts bearing the phrase “Humanize My Hoodie” caught 10-time Grammy winner John Legend’s attention on social media, Little Village reports.
People in Iowa City will now be able to trap stray cats, bring them to a veterinarian to get spayed or neutered, and then return them to the public, KCRG reports.
California fishermen are reporting one of the best salmon fishing seasons in years, thanks to heavy rain and snow that ended the state’s historic drought, The Associated Press reports.
Female doctors are more likely than other professionals to have children and keep working, The New York Times reports.
Members of the U.S. women’s soccer team began a gender discrimination case against their employer, the U.S. Soccer Federation, NPR reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.