We are caring for 783 inpatients and have 3,739 outpatient visits today.
High: 81 Low: 63 Partly sunny
High: 79 Low: 64 T-storms likely
Broadcasts: Need to know
This new five-session series begins Thursday, Sept. 5, and is open to UI Health Care supervisors. The deadline to apply is today. Space is limited.
News: In The Loop
Isaiah Rodriguez stepped in to translate for a patient who was in respiratory distress: “He was calm and professional and did an amazing job keeping the patient informed during such a scary and stressful time.”
At 9 months old, Jaylee Bartleson was attached to a life support device while she waited for a new heart. For most patients, the device—a mechanical pump that helps the heart pump blood, called a left ventricle assist device (LVAD)—would require bed rest. Keeping Jaylee still wasn’t an option though, according to her mom, Kelli Bartleson.
Events: Join us
- Radiothon to benefit pediatric patients and their families: tune into 98.1 KHAK today and tomorrow, 6 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 6 p.m. To donate, call 800-456-2772 or text KHAKKIDS to 51555.
- Department of Nursing Open Forums: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing, Lower Level Conference Room
- White Coat Ceremony: 3 p.m. tomorrow, Hancher Auditorium
- Project Art presents 41st Annual Staff Art Show: on display now through Thursday, Aug. 29, near Elevator F, Level 8 and in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- HCIS will perform system maintenance on the Cloverleaf Interface System today from 9:30 p.m. until approximately 9:40 p.m. (10 minutes). The maintenance will cause a temporary pause to Interfaces. Epic and other systems will continue to function normally.
- The Kinnick Stadium sound system will be used as crowd noise at football practice today from 7:30 to 9 p.m., and on Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m., which will be heard from the hospital.
- Congratulations to the units and job roles that achieved 100% hand hygiene compliance for the week of Aug. 4 to 10: 2RCW2, CVICU, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Level 11, lab, med tech, medical assistant, medical student, resident, respiratory therapy, and social work.
- TIAA financial consultants are available to meet at multiple UI Hospitals & Clinics locations. Go to tiaa.org/schedulenow or call 800-732-8353 to schedule your individual meeting.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The College of Pharmacy Dermatology Lab seeks volunteers ages 18 to 50 who identify as American/Black to participate in a study on skin repair. Compensation. Complete this survey to begin participation: bit.ly/2CDzNDk.
Outside UI Health Care
Alumnus Bret Schafbuch’s experiences at the University of Iowa—specifically, the chance to study abroad—laid the foundation for a successful career at the iconic toy company’s headquarters in Denmark, the UI reports.
Firefighters are working to figure out what started a fire at a bowling alley in Cascade early this morning, KCRG reports.
Hy-Vee is investigating a suspected data breach after “recently detecting unauthorized activity on some of our payment processing systems,” Little Village reports.
The only liver disease becoming more widespread in the U.S. is one driven by obesity and diabetes, even as other types of liver disorders linked to drinking or hepatitis are becoming less common, Reuters reports.
Microsoft is warning Windows 10 users to update their operating system immediately because of two “critical” vulnerabilities, CNN reports.
The rising cost of playing sports, coupled with rising economic inequality, is increasingly leading poor and even middle-class families to hang up their cleats, CBS News reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.