Keeping you in The Loop
“When you pour your heart and your soul into your work, where you’re trying to save a child’s life who has cancer, it means the world to have families partner with you,” says David Dickens, MD.
Joseph Zabner, MD, UI professor of internal medicine and director of the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Occupational Medicine, has been awarded the 2021 Recognition Award for Scientific Accomplishment by the ATS.
The Board of Regents, State of Iowa, will meet in Iowa City on April 29 and 30 to evaluate the four finalists for UI president and to make its appointment.
- Are you interested in learning about evidence-based principles that can be adopted into team effectiveness? Register for our virtual series.
- Faculty and staff contacted directly by the media should contact the UI Health Care Media Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember: You must update ReadySet to indicate your COVID-19 vaccination status if you haven’t done so already.
We Stand Together
In this video, Michael Osnard, MD, MS, discusses the importance of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine. “I have seen the COVID-19 vaccine make a difference between life and death. I chose life. I chose to receive the vaccine.”
By the numbers
Total inpatients: 799 today
Total outpatient visits: 4,154 today
C-19 adult inpatients: 21 yesterday, 507 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 35 to date
% positive symptomatic C-19 test results**: 12% yesterday, 14% to date
Telehealth screenings***: 159 yesterday, 20,714 to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported)*: 1 yesterday, 1,638 to date
Employees who have received the first COVID-19 vaccine dose: 31 yesterday, 15,272 to date
Employees who have received both the first and second/final COVID-19 vaccine doses: 1 yesterday, 12,916 to date
Epic: What’s coming
- As part of the Epic Spring upgrade, you’ll be able to complete documentation faster with a fresh look for the MAR administration form.
Research volunteers invited
- Individuals ages 18 and older are invited to participate in a research study using ocular blood flow imaging techniques. Participation will include a two-hour visit for most participants. Compensation. Email email@example.com or call 319-356-8299 if interested.
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
Events: Join us
- Register for the Red Shoe Run & Walk 5K, sponsored by UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital: 10 a.m. to noon, Sunday, May 2.
- liveWELL: Information session on diabetes prevention program at 4:30 p.m. on May 12.
- Participate in conversation about the Derek Chauvin verdict. The university is offering opportunities to engage in conversation around the verdict of Derek Chauvin. This is not a space to debate but rather to process, reflect, and learn from each other.
Outside UI Health Care
The American Academy of Arts and Letters honors both established and emerging writers of fiction, nonfiction, drama, and poetry, Iowa Now reports.
Brittany Volk felt the weight of the pandemic in the beginning of 2020, but she was able to turn it into a sweet ending, The Daily Iowan reports.
Runk Wood says he’s not a hero, he just did what he had to do, KCRG reports.
The rover successfully converted some of the plentiful carbon dioxide on Mars into 5.4 grams of oxygen—enough to sustain an astronaut for about 10 minutes, CNN reports.
Sophomore JerQuavia Henderson earned the honor after a stellar 2021 season, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.