We are caring for 749 inpatients and have 4,215 outpatient visits today.
High: 56 Low: 39 Cloudy
High: 61 Low: 37 Sunny
Events: Join us
- UI’s Response to Human Trafficking Risks Among Students, presented by the Johnson County Human Trafficking Coalition: 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 22, Iowa City Public Library
- 21st Annual Update in Infectious Diseases: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, April 26, hotelVetro and Conference Center, Iowa City
- Pediatric Fundamental Critical Care Support Course: Thursday, May 9, and Friday, May 10, Emergency Medical Service Learning Resource Center
- Adult Fundamental Critical Care Support Course: Monday, May 13, and Tuesday, May 14, Emergency Medical Service Learning Resource Center
- 2019 Walk to End Epilepsy: Saturday, June 1, Shelter 6, City Park, Iowa City
News: In The Loop
A recent JAMA Pediatrics study upholds what neonatologist and researcher Edward Bell, MD, has believed for years: Active treatment for even the tiniest of babies improves their chance of survival.
ASCCP announced its new president earlier this week: Colleen K. Stockdale, MD, MS. ASCCP is a society dedicated to improving lives through the prevention and treatment of anogenital and HPV-related diseases.
Amy Hanson has worked with migrant agricultural workers in Iowa, the Indian Health Service Hospital in Montana, and helped repair cleft palates in Guatemala. She’s one of our medical student in the Global Health Program.
Natalie Bindler, RN, BSN, was recognized by a grateful patient, who said, “We were not prepared to be NICU parents … Natalie was patient, caring, and compassionate, not only to my son, but also to me.”
- CommUnity Crisis Services and Food Bank (formerly Crisis Center of Johnson County) is hosting a baby shower drive during the month of April to collect items such as diapers, baby wipes, and formula.
- Vote for this year’s Great Catch winner by Friday, April 19. The winner will be announced during Patient Safety Week (April 29 to May 3).
- Call the Patient Access Center at 2-1095 to accelerate follow-up clinic appointments for patients who need them prior to discharge and within a tight time frame.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Men ages 58 to 80 with no metal implants are invited to participate as controls in a research study on metal hip replacements. Compensation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Director of the UI International Writing Program Christopher Merrill was one of 168 winners of the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation’s 2019 fellowships, Iowa Now reports.
Researchers in the College of Education have studied how student meal swipes in the dining halls can help determine social connectivity, The Daily Iowan reports.
Despite puppetry’s obscurity, several artists in Iowa have learned how to make a living bringing life to dolls, The Daily Iowan reports.
Twenty-three million years ago, a giant carnivore larger than any modern-day lion or polar bear stalked sub-Saharan Africa, CNN reports.
The writers’ union says that talent agencies are taking too large a share in the deals they negotiate, and that conflicts of interest may prevent them from working in their clients’ best interest, NPR reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.