We are caring for 697 inpatients and have 4,366 outpatient visits today.
High: 61 Low: 41 Showers likely
High: 52 Low: 36 Breezy
Broadcasts: Need to know
Several road construction projects are taking place in the Iowa City area, including construction on I-380 set to begin this week which will see—weather permitting—the nightly closure of both northbound and southbound lanes of I-380 at Forevergreen Road, exit 2, tomorrow through Friday Oct. 25, for the demolition of the old bridge over I-380.
Epic: What’s new
See the Epic Status Report for Oct. 22, 2019, for all updates and screenshots.
- New Telephone Encounter reasons
- Printing patient labels from Appointment Desk
- New appointment warnings
- New patient status for undeliverable communications
News: In The Loop
We’d be in the dark without them, literally. The Electric Shop keeps the power on and oversees the emergency power systems for UI Hospitals & Clinics, including 20 generators that hold 111,000 gallons of fuel, 174 transfer switches, and 75,000 breakers.
Ted Abel, PhD, professor and chair of the Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, has been elected to the National Academy of Medicine, considered one of the highest honors in the fields of health and medicine.
Stephen K. Hunter, MD, PhD, and others from the UI say they’ve felt the impacts of other women’s health clinic closures around the state, seeing an influx of patients, KCRG reports. They’re hoping a 5-year, $10 million grant will help bring solutions.
See the full list of the most recent Making a Difference Award winners, including Mason Garcia of nursing, the musculoskeletal radiology team, Mutwakil Musa of Food and Nutrition Services, Kerrington Snavely of Volunteer Services, and many others.
Events: Join us
- Carver’s Got Talent: fundraiser for Domestic Violence Intervention Program, noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, MERF Atrium
- Pregnancy in the US for Congolese Community: 4 to 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, Johnson County Health and Human Services Building
- UI Faculty and Staff Health Fair: 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, UI Field House Main Deck
- OB/Gyn Postgraduate Conference 2019, Updates in Urogynecology: The Intersection of Urology, Obstetrics, and Gynecology, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8, Hilton Garden Inn, Iowa City
- Faculty seminar: Negotiation Skills Workshop, 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 13, Melrose Conference Rooms I and II (Elevator M, Level 5), register by emailing email@example.com
- It’s National Pharmacy Week! Please join the Department of Pharmaceutical Care in celebrating from today through Sunday, Oct. 27. UI Hospitals & Clinics pharmacy staff work throughout UI Health Care, supporting clinical services, education, and research.
Outside UI Health Care
Five former and current UI presidents reflected upon each of their presidential tenures in a panel held Oct. 18 to celebrate Homecoming and reflect on their leadership experiences, The Daily Iowan reports.
Through the nonprofit organization she leads, the 2007 Iowa engineering graduate is connecting people in isolated communities across the globe to opportunity and prosperity, the UI reports.
Jeremy French was born with major heart problems, and in July 2017, he was admitted into the hospital where he waited 347 days for a heart transplant, KGAN reports. On July 2, 2018, Jeremy called his wife to tell her they found a match.
Four large drug companies reached a last-minute $260 million legal settlement over their role in the U.S. opioid addiction epidemic, averting the first federal trial that was scheduled to start this morning in Cleveland, Reuters reports.
Building on the museum’s already-impressive Leonardo da Vinci collection, the show has been 10 years in the making and will feature over 120 works, CNN reports.
UI’s Samantha Tawharu scored a header right before time expired to give the Hawkeyes their sixth Big Ten win of the season, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.