Keeping you in The Loop
How building rapport improves quality of care
Whether it’s caring for her first patient of the day or her last, Brittney Kintzel’s, BSN, CPN, RN, goal is always the same: make a connection. Those connections not only improve the patient’s experience, but they also allow for better collaboration during a patient’s stay.
Hospitals across 4 states band together to treat acute pediatric cases amid ‘tripledemic’
UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital and other pediatric hospitals in the region have collaborated to support one another in providing care for the patients who need it most during a challenging respiratory virus season, Iowa Public Radio reports.
- Are you ready for The Joint Commission? Remember safe medication practices. Label medications not immediately administered. Make sure medications are secure at all times. Follow appropriate medication wasting protocol. Be aware of non-opioid pain management options. Remove patient labels from waste bags.
- Interested in working with the UI Mobile Clinic as a provider? Opportunities to volunteer weekly are available in-person or virtually.
Employees experiencing COVID-19-like symptoms should use the MyChart self-checker or call the University Employee Health Clinic at 319-356-3631, option 3.
By the numbers
Total inpatients: 774 today
Total outpatient visits: 4,523 today
C-19 adult inpatients: 21 yesterday, 73 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 1 to date
% positive symptomatic C-19 test results**: 25% yesterday, 21% to date
Telehealth screenings***: 14 yesterday, 151 to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported)*: 1 yesterday, 7,541 to date
Employees who have received the first COVID-19 vaccine dose: 0 yesterday, 15,794 to date
Employees who have received both the first and second/final COVID-19 vaccine doses: 0 yesterday, 15,670 to date
Visit COVID-19 by the numbers for more info
Epic: What’s new
See the Epic Status Report for Jan. 10, 2023, for all updates and screenshots.
- UI Health Care Epic Clinical Users – Customer Satisfaction Survey
Access and Revenue
- PFS Requested Payers/Plans
- Epic Educational Resource Updates
- Epic Training Schedules
Events: Join us
- Medication for Addiction Treatment waiver training: 8:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13, in room 2189 of the Medical Education Research Facility.
- Midwestern Conference on Health Care in the Older Adult: 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Friday, Jan. 27. Register by Sunday, Jan. 14.
Outside UI Health Care
Hamburg Inn under new management, closing until February for repairs
The Hamburg Inn in Iowa City will be closed for the remainder of the month as construction crews work to repair some maintenance issues inside the city staple, KWWL reports.
UN says ozone layer slowly healing, hole to mend by 2066
A new United Nations (UN) report says Earth’s protective ozone layer is slowly but noticeably healing at a pace that would fully mend the hole over Antarctica in about 43 years, the Associated Press reports.
Seattle’s schools are suing tech giants for harming young people’s mental health
The public school district in Seattle has filed a novel lawsuit against the tech giants behind TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Snapchat, seeking to hold them accountable for the mental health crisis among youth, NPR reports.
Second-ranked Iowa blasts Boilermakers 37–6
The UI men’s wrestling team won eight of 10 matches in a 37–6 rout of Purdue yesterday, Hawkeye Sports reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.