We are caring for 790 inpatients and have 4,519 outpatient visits today.
High: 41 Low: 27 Increasing clouds
High: 39 Low: 17 Mostly sunny
Epic: What’s new
See the Epic Status Report for Jan. 7, 2020, for all updates and screenshots.
- New Med List Status added to support e-visit workflows
- Icons added to Storyboard to identify research patients
- Reduction of Verification Statuses
- Transferring into the CPRU
- Transferring into the Cath Lab
News: In The Loop
When Livia Knipp’s water broke just 19 weeks into her pregnancy, the situation seemed very grim. The family from Windsor Heights turned their attention east toward UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital and our high-risk obstetricians and neonatal specialists.
UI Health Care’s new family medicine practice in Cedar Rapids opens today. Family medicine provider Jessica Alston, MD, will be at this clinic at 411 10th Street SE, along with our downtown pediatrics office.
Penny Carrington’s health had been deteriorating in ways that have puzzled virtually every doctor she had seen over the past 15 years. Until she came to the UI.
Events: Join us
- Tree and wreath return: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. today and tomorrow, Mezzanine Level, Elevator K
- Meet the Midwives: 6:30 to 8 p.m. tonight, UI Health Care–North Dodge, for potential patients to explore if a midwife might be the right choice for them, with more dates
- Peer Supporter Training: 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8)
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction programs: 3 to 5:30 p.m., Tuesdays, Jan. 21 to March 10, or 5:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to March 11
- MLK Human Rights Week Distinguished Lecture: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 22, Prem Sahai Auditorium, 1110 MERF
- The new 4 South General Medicine inpatient unit will open today. The 13-bed unit is near Elevator C, Level 4, and is an extension of 5 South.
- Are you a creative writer? Previously unpublished works of fiction or poetry are being sought for publication in a Carver College of Medicine anthology of creative writing. Submission deadline has been extended to Wednesday, Jan. 8.
- Reminder: Consent for Operation or Procedure forms have been updated to ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies, including the Iowa Administrative Code, and to provide greater clarity and consistency to patients and providers.
Outside UI Health Care
Unofficial numbers show service calls increased by 7% from 2018, KCRG reports.
The City of Des Moines says 20 new surveillance cameras will make its skywalk system safer, KCRG reports.
California has gone through several difficult fire seasons in recent years, NPR reports. Now, some cities are investing in unconventional fire prevention methods, including goats.
An earthquake struck Puerto Rico early this morning, and while no tsunami warning was issued, geologists warn of more tremors to come, CNN reports.
How we take care of our bodies, minds, and health evolves over time for a number of reasons, NBC News reports.
A historic 196.5 points led Iowa to its 29th Midlands championship, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.