Keeping you in The Loop
For Adzovi Takpah, RN, BSN, it was her mother’s battle with cancer, and the nurse who stood by her side, that drove her into the career she adores. “For me, it’s personal,” she says. “A patient is like my family. Every patient is special to me.”
In this Q&A, Patricia Winokur, MD, discusses UI Health Care’s Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine study and answers questions surrounding booster shots, future vaccinations, and the importance of continuing safety precautions like mask wearing and social distancing.
We all know that excellent communication with patients and families is important. Some of our providers share how they’re sharpening their communication skills.
- The Epic system will experience a downtime at 1 a.m. tomorrow for approximately 30 minutes.
- Reminder: You’re required to complete an “Annual Disclosure of Outside Professional Activities and Interests,” by April 30. You will still need to finalize the certification even if you have nothing to disclose.
- Quality Leadership Academy 2021-2022: Residents and fellows must apply by June 25, 2021.
Reminder: You can provide feedback on the UI presidential candidates until 5 p.m. tonight.
We Stand Together
The Office of the Patient Experience supports our patients and colleagues across UI Health Care in the many roles its team members represent.
From Guest Services to the Patient Education Program to Interpreting and Translation Services and more, learn about those who help create a positive experience for patients.
By the numbers
Total inpatients: 730 today
Total outpatient visits: 4,191 today
C-19 adult inpatients: 15 yesterday, 519 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 39 to date
% positive symptomatic C-19 test results**: 10% yesterday, 14% to date
Telehealth screenings***: 104 yesterday, 21,151 to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported)*: 2 yesterday, 1,641 to date
Employees who have received the first COVID-19 vaccine dose: 0 yesterday, 15,311 to date
Employees who have received both the first and second/final COVID-19 vaccine doses: 0 yesterday, 12,959 to date
Epic: What’s new
See the Epic Status Report for April 27, 2021, for all updates and screenshots.
- Update to Note Editing Workflows
- Added Contraindicated Meds Grouper to PREVENTABLE Study Med (atorvastatin vs placebo)
- Expansion of Hematology E-consults
- New BPA for Providers with a Patient having a PCI Procedure
- Revised New Payor ID and Benefit Plans
- Placing the E-Consult Orders
- Overview of the Transplant Activity and Checklist (TXP051)
- Exploring the Committee Review Encounter (TXP053)
- MyChart – Sending an Activation Code via Email
Events: Join us
- Pediatric pain and palliative care education session: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, via Zoom.
- 22nd Annual Update in Infectious Diseases: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on April 30, via Zoom.
Outside UI Health Care
A lesson in planting trees yesterday also turned into one on fostering dreams and goals for dozens of kids from the Cedar Rapids area, KCRG reports.
The event returns virtually this year to address the ongoing need for mental health treatment in Iowa, KWWL reports.
When it comes to vaccinations, the vast majority of Americans are rolling up their sleeves for two doses, according to data released yesterday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ABC News reports.
Zhao, who is Chinese, became the first woman of color—and only the second woman—to win the award for best director, NBC News reports.
Nurse, who hails from Carroll, Iowa, talked about his journey from a small town to the NBA stage, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.