We are caring for 708 inpatients and have 4,179 outpatient visits today.
High: 58 Low: 46 Mostly cloudy
High: 71 Low: 54 Mostly cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
UI Vice President for Medical Affairs Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA, will host a Focus Forum for UI Health Care employees from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, in the John H. Staley East Room (Elevator D, Level 8), with Brad Haws, MBA, associate vice president and chief financial officer.
Epic: What’s new
See the Epic Status Report for April 16, 2019, for all updates and screenshots:
- Change to FastPass login for workroom computers
- New Acute Issue/Provider Note
- New departments
News: In The Loop
The UI Hospitals & Clinics AirCare team takes around 800 flights a year, The Daily Iowan reports. The average time from receiving a call to getting off the ground? Seven minutes.
Daniel Diekema, MD, MS, highlights a number of recent cross-disciplinary collaborations that have led to a better understanding of infectious diseases.
Shawn-Brooklyn and Christopher share a special connection: They each received a kidney from the same donor.
When Merdis Wells visited a diabetes clinic in New Orleans, a nurse practitioner checked her eyes for diabetic retinopathy, the most common cause of blindness, NPR reports. The practitioner used an AI system invented by the UI’s Michael D. Abramoff, MD, PhD.
Events: Join us
- CANCELED: Visiting Scholar Lectures: Susan Dorsey, PhD, today and tomorrow
- National Health Care Decisions Week: Honoring Your Wishes display, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today and tomorrow, Fountain Dining Room (Elevator C, Level 1)
- TriNetX Analytics Training: 2 p.m. tomorrow, location provided after registering
- 16th Interdisciplinary Cerebrovascular Symposium: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, April 17–19, Hilton Garden Inn, 328 S Clinton St., Iowa City
- Performance Leadership Training: 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 17, Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1)
- Faculty Affairs and Development: “For New Associate Professors—Congratulations on Achieving this Milestone; What’s Next?” 7:30 to 9 a.m. Friday, April 26, Melrose Conference Room 1 and 2 (Elevator L, Level 5)
- Vote for this year’s Great Catch winner by Friday, April 19. The winner will be announced during Patient Safety Week (April 29 to May 3).
- A Surplus Roundup is being held through April 30 to collect old or unwanted office equipment. Place a surplus sticker on your items. See details on The Loop, and call 319-356-2277 for stickers or questions.
- Need new glasses? Stop by UI Optical during April for 20 percent off eyewear, two locations in Pomerantz Family Pavilion (Elevator L, Level 2) and UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing (Level 2). Don’t forget to schedule an eye exam at 319-356-2852.
Outside UI Health Care
TaJuan Wilson, from the Medical University of South Carolina, has been named the UI’s new associate vice president for diversity, equity, and inclusion, Iowa Now reports.
The UI addresses the growing problem through a focus on agricultural safety and education by offering students a core course on the topic, The Daily Iowan reports.
Casual bike riders and serious cyclists will have a new way to celebrate National Bike Month in Iowa City with the inaugural Trueblood 100 Family Bike Ride, Little Village Magazine reports.
The world’s largest aircraft took off in California, the first flight for the carbon-composite plane built by Stratolaunch Systems Corp., as the company enters the lucrative private space market, Reuters reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.