We are caring for 791 inpatients and have 3,433 outpatient visits today.
High: 79 Low: 57 Mostly cloudy
High: 78 Low: 59 Party sunny
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar presents Anthony Fischer, MD, PhD, on “Initiation and maintenance of chronic bacterial infections in cystic fibrosis,” noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 9, Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- 16th Annual Neuroscience Nursing Conference: Tuesday, Sept. 10, and Wednesday, Sept. 11, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
- Fountain Lobby Blood Drive: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Out of the Darkness Walk for suicide prevention: noon to 4 p.m., Sunday, Sept. 22, Coralville Youth Sports Complex
- Iowa Hemostasis and Thrombosis Centre open house: 8 to 11:30 a.m., Friday, Sept. 27, Pediatric Education Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
News: In The Loop
The Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, and intersex (LGBT+) civil rights organization, recognized UI Health Care as a 2019 LGBTQ Healthcare Equality Top Performer in its Healthcare Equality Index 2019.
Refugees and immigrants are shaping the Iowa workplace, challenging us to become better informed about cultural differences, and promoting dialogue for improved awareness. Join us for this dialogue from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, 112 USB.
Join the Short Coat Podcast crew and special guest geriatrician Louise Aronson, MD, as they discuss our aging society and the science of geriatrics.
- This year’s employee flu campaign will run Sept. 23 through Nov. 8. Learn how you can get vaccinated.
- The UI First-Generation Task Force established four 1stGen@Iowa Awards that recognize first-generation student achievements and support efforts of faculty. Nominate someone you know today.
- Abstracts are now being accepted until Wednesday, Oct. 9, for the 27th National Evidence-Based Practice (EBP) Conference, Team Science: Achieving More Together.
- The Hawkeyes kick off at 11:00 a.m. tomorrow against Rutgers in Kinnick Stadium. Learn more about getting to the hospital on game days, and see details for employee parking. Please help direct our patients and visitors to avoid Melrose Avenue, to park in Parking Ramps 1 or 2, and enter through the Main Entrance.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The Departments of Orthopedics and Urology invite adult males who have been experiencing testicular/epididymal/scrotal content pain for longer than 3 months to participate in a research study. Study requires an office visit with urology, four surveys, a physical exam, and x-rays. If interested, call 319-356-2421 to schedule an appointment.
Outside UI Health Care
Amid Iowa’s new legalization of sports betting, UI President Bruce Harreld stresses vigilance and transparency from the UI athletic department, the Iowa City Press-Citizen reports.
New Iowa City nighttime mayor Joe Reilly opens up about his plans for the downtown district, including new portable toilets in alleyways and rape victim advocacy program training, The Daily Iowan reports.
Hampton University will allow students displaced by Hurricane Dorian to spend the fall semester on its campus in Hampton, Virginia, tuition-free, CNN reports.
Google, owner of YouTube, will pay $136 million to the Federal Trade Commission and $34 million to New York state after violating a privacy law regarding children, the Associated Press reports.
Guitar in hand, foot tapping a tambourine, Ace Jones is a one-man show for all who pass through the Iowa City Pedestrian Mall, Little Village Magazine reports.
The Packers’ 10-3 defeat of the Bears at Soldier Field last night came largely as a result of their defense, ESPN reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.