We are caring for 772 inpatients and have 3,309 outpatient visits today.
High: 71 Low: 54 Mostly sunny
High: 80 Low: 66 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
The university is starting the process of refreshing its existing strategic plan, and in order to inform the new plan, we will refresh our own UI Health Care strategic plan. Other university units and colleges will review and update their strategic plans, as well.
Faculty judges are needed for next week’s Medical Student Research Conference from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, Sept. 18 and 19, in the MERF Atrium. Volunteer for one or both days.
News: In The Loop
Cien Currie, 7, of Winterset, Iowa, is our Kid Captain for tomorrow’s game at Iowa State. Cien began experiencing seizures and was diagnosed with a rare birth defect in which the middle of the brain does not fully form. He’s been seizure-free for two years and just started second grade.
Five faculty members who have helped foster the growth of UI Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center have been appointed to leadership positions: Bryan Allen, MD, PhD; Yusef Menda, MD; Umar Farooq, MD; Yousef Zakharia, MD; and Arwa Aburizik, MD, MS.
The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation awarded a $2.4 million grant to a UI research team led by David Stoltz, MD, PhD, to continue its participation in a national network of research centers bringing multidisciplinary expertise to the challenges of treating cystic fibrosis (CF) lung disease.
UI Sports Medicine will once again serve as the official medical provider for the 2019 Jingle Cross Cyclocross Festival this weekend at the Johnson County Fairgrounds in Iowa City.
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar: Youssef A. Kousa, MS, DO, PhD, on “Identifying Genetic Risk Factors in Congenital Zika Syndrome,” noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16, Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Faculty Development Opportunity: Rigor and Reproducibility Workshop, 4 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, Seebohm Conference Room 283 EMRB
- Fountain Lobby Blood Drive: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Excellence Every Time: morning or afternoon sessions, Sept. 24 or 25, Coralville Marriott
- Ride 4 Youth Charity Bike Ride: various start times, Sunday, Sept. 29, Coralville Public Library
- 2019 Midwest Region Burn Conference: Oct. 3 and 4, Graduate Hotel, Iowa City
- Lean Improvement Model for Health Care Training: two-day sessions in October and November
- The UI Hawk Alert emergency notification system will be tested at approximately 10 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 16. Before the test, please review your Hawk Alert contact information and notification preferences to ensure they’re accurate.
- Parking Ramp 2 will be closed for maintenance from 6 p.m. today to 3 a.m. Monday, Sept. 16, and again the following weekend. Vehicles will not be permitted to enter the ramp after 4 p.m. on either Friday. Vehicles not removed by 6 p.m. will be relocated.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies. Participation is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Questions? Call 319-335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit icts.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
The University of Iowa again welcomes the most academically accomplished class in its history, the UI reports.
The sale of short-term limited-duration health plans has been approved by the Iowa Insurance Division, The Gazette reports.
Amid fallout from Hurricane Dorian, about 3,900 evacuees from the Bahamas have been processed through south Florida, CNN reports.
South Africa’s president today canceled a visit to the United Nations this month to focus on unrest over gender-based violence and xenophobic attacks, The Associated Press (AP) reports.
Tech giant Facebook is expanding its service to expose its users to more local news and information, the AP reports.
The Panthers’ season is on the brink of disaster after a 20-14 loss to the Buccaneers for an 0-2 start, ESPN reports.
*Subscription services, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.