We are caring for 773 inpatients and have 3,356 outpatient visits today.
Broadcasts: Need to know
Changes are being made to the Hospital Advisory Committee, now re-named as the Clinical Systems Committee (CSC), to implement a more collaborative, inclusive, and integrated governance structure. Its various subcommittees are being restructured, and the CSC has a new co-chair—Matthew Howard, MD—to serve with CEO Suresh Gunasekaran in leading the new CSC.
Keeping you in The Loop
A nursing team on 7JPP Medical Observation Unit helped a critical E.D. census one night by taking inpatients on the observation unit. “We looked at each other and said, ‘Okay, let’s do this.’”
Lucy Roth, 10, of Iowa City, is tomorrow’s Kid Captain. Lucy was diagnosed with a massive brain tumor when she was 2 and suffered a stroke during surgery to remove the tumor. She was left paralyzed on her right side, but she continues to build her strength and mobility.
Peg Nopoulos, MD, is the Department of Psychiatry’s first female chair, and she is passionate about encouraging women in the medical field, The Daily Iowan reports.
Parents often wonder how old their children must be before they can leave them home alone for a few hours, NBC News reports. A new survey led by Charles Jennissen, MD, suggests age 12 might be a safe time for many to start.
Events: Join us
- Early voting for the Nov. 5 city and school elections: Monday, Oct. 28, Melrose Conference Room 3 (Elevator L, Level 5), and Tuesday, Oct. 29, Atrium Conference Room A/B (Elevator D, Level 7). Hours both days are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar: “New perspectives to prevent preterm labor and fetal organ injury,” noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Oct. 28, Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- HR Advisory Board: Engage Your Staff, 2 to 2:45 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 30, 4999 JCP (Elevator H, Level 4)
- Iowa Medical Society Physician Burnout Conference: 6 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5, Hilton Garden Inn, Iowa City
- Fourth Floor Salon holiday sale: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, and 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- The Point will undergo maintenance tonight from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. for system updates. During the maintenance window, users can access a read-only copy of The Point documents, but will not be able to make changes.
- The City of Coralville has re-opened 7th Street, allowing for another way to enter and exit the Iowa River Landing district. This should help alleviate traffic congestion due to construction near UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing.
- The University of Iowa has partnered with the Eastern Central Iowa Council of Governments to offer university students, faculty, and staff discounted bus passes for 380Express.
- Do you know a staff member or team that is making a positive difference in the results your workplace is achieving? Nominate them for an Improving Our Workplace Award (I.O.W.A.) by Friday, Nov. 1.
- Junior faculty in any department or college who wish to pursue pilot projects broadly related to basic and clinical areas of cancer research can apply for a seed grant from Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center’s American Cancer Society Institutional Research Grant. Applications due at noon on Monday, Nov. 4.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Children with AD/HD between 4 and 12 years prescribed stimulant medication and exhibiting disruptive behavior are invited to participate in research evaluating behavior and choices. Compensation. Questions? Contact Matthew O’Brien at email@example.com or 319-384-9827.
Outside UI Health Care
The eight million dollar construction project is wrapping up, delighting business owners who’ve been patiently waiting for the fences to come down, KWWL reports.
Cedar Rapids increased security in skywalks after a man was attacked by teenagers earlier this month in the Des Moines skywalk, KCRG reports.
Fire officials say a wildfire is burning out of control north of Los Angeles, forcing thousands of residents to evacuate their homes, CNN reports.
The bodies of 39 people were found in a lorry trailer in Essex in eastern England, BBC reports. Police are working to piece together the horrific event.
Chronic homelessness can have a devastating impact on patients’ health and well-being, AAMC reports. Here’s how some teaching hospitals are helping rebuild housing—and lives.
Here’s why the nation’s top-ranked teams may lose come Saturday, ESPN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.