We are caring for 772 inpatients and have 3,264 outpatient visits today.
High: 67 Low: 47 Partly sunny
High: 59 Low: 40 Morning rain
Broadcasts: Need to know
The Clinical Cancer Center opened a fourth clinic, Clinic D, this month. Clinic D is located within Women’s Health at Elevator M, Level 3. The clinic will see gynecologic and breast cancer patients. Please be mindful of this new clinic when helping direct patients.
Reminder: And did you know that Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center also has a cancer diagnostic clinic to provide cancer care for patients who have an undetermined cancer diagnosis? Physicians can refer a patient to the diagnostic clinic whenever cancer is suspected, even before a cancer diagnosis is made.
News: In The Loop
The Emergency Department: On any given day you can find it busy with the hustle and bustle of some of the most acute cases being triaged by our staff. In an environment with so much happening, the noise, movement, and atmosphere can sometimes lead to increased stress, especially for behavioral health patients.
Kendra Hines, 10, of Mount Vernon, Iowa, is our Kid Captain for tomorrow’s game against Purdue. Kendra was diagnosed with Down syndrome at birth. She stopped breathing when she was 2 months old and had surgery to correct a narrowed airway.
Diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at three months old, artist Dylan Mortimer explores his personal relationship to cystic fibrosis through his vibrant artwork—both terrifying and triumphant.
Students from across eastern Iowa took a field trip yesterday to learn about the field of pathology at UI Hospitals & Clinics, KCRG reports.
Events: Join us
- Carver College of Medicine homecoming tailgate: 9 to 10:45 a.m. tomorrow, MERF
- Employee flu vaccination clinic: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Oct. 21, HSSB
- HR Advisory Board: Prioritize Your Workload: 2 to 2:45 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24, 8440 JCP (Elevator E, Level 8)
- Inaugural Celebration of Resident and Fellow Teaching event: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 29, John Colloton Pavilion Atrium (Elevator F, Level 1)
- AAMC Annual Meeting: UI Health Care reception, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, Hyatt Regency, Phoenix, AZ
- The escalators will be out of service for maintenance—the ones near the UI Hospitals & Clinics Main Entrance and in the West Campus Transportation Center—the mornings of Monday, Oct. 21, and Tuesday, Oct. 22, and possibly into the afternoon. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- If you received your flu vaccination as a patient at your doctor’s office, you still have to record your vaccination in ReadySet to be in compliance with the mandatory flu campaign. Questions about the flu campaign? Start here.
- The Hawkeyes kick off at 11 a.m. tomorrow against Purdue in Kinnick Stadium. Learn more about getting to the hospital on game days, and see details for employee parking. Please help direct our patients and visitors to avoid Melrose Avenue and to park in Parking Ramps 1 or 2.
- It’s Central Sterilization Week, the annual celebration of the work our sterilization teams do. Next time you see them, make sure you say take a moment to say thank you for the work they do every day to keep our patients safe.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- UI researchers are working on better understanding hazards of farm noise using a noise monitor, phone, and laptop. If you are a farmer and want more information, visit this site.
Outside UI Health Care
Nearly 30 years ago, the Hawkeye Marching Band won one of the nation’s top marching awards—but the trophy was never purchased for display, The Daily Iowan reports.
Nestled between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City is Solon, a city that continues to develop and attracts people with their variety of options on Main Street, CBS2 reports.
Three Guthrie County deputies and one other person were shot this morning while trying to serve a warrant, KCRG reports.
Union leaders involved in the Chicago teachers strike have reported some headway at the bargaining table, Reuters reports.
An area of storms over the Gulf of Mexico should develop into a tropical or subtropical cyclone before slamming into the U.S. Gulf Coast this weekend, CNN reports.
Chiefs star quarterback Patrick Mahomes injured his knee last night in a game against the Broncos, ESPN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.