We are caring for 765 inpatients and have 2,896 outpatient visits today.
High: 38 Low: 26 Partly sunny
High: 51 Low: 32 Mostly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
The circle drive at the Fountain Lobby Entrance will be closed from 6:30 p.m. today until 2 p.m. tomorrow to move materials and equipment up to the roof. A crane will be set up tomorrow morning.
News: In The Loop
Skylar Hardee, 8, of Hubbard, Iowa, is our Kid Captain for tomorrow’s game against Wisconsin. During their 16-week ultrasound, Skylar’s parents were given a 1% chance of their baby surviving. They sought help at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital where he was born at 32 weeks gestation. Today, nothing slows him down.
Joshua Gordon, MD, PhD, director of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), will present, “Opportunities and Challenges in Mental Health Research,” from 2 to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, in 2117 MERF.
UI Health Care is hosting Girls Go STEM! from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, in MERF. This free educational program is targeted to girls in grades 6 through 8, with additional programming for parents.
This week’s episode welcomes Jessica McCabe, host of the popular YouTube channel, “How to ADHD.”
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar with Catherina Pinnaro, MD, and Jessica A. O. Zimmerman, MD: noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11, Pediatric Conference Center, 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Distinguished Biomedical Scholar Lecture: Jeffrey Friedman, MD, PhD, “Leptin and the Homeostatic Control of Food Intake and Body Weight,” 3 to 4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 14, 2117 MERF
- Men’s Health Seminar: Sleep apnea, 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 14, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing
- Open house events will be held Nov. 12–14 to gather public input for the Iowa City Area Transit Study. You can also participate by completing a “Design Your Own Transit System” survey. See details and take survey at bit.ly/33pgS8K.
- UI Hospital & Clinics main campus and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital will experience a cable TV video outage on Saturday, Nov. 9, beginning at 12 a.m. and lasting until approximately 6 a.m. In-house channels #104–137 will still be available during this outage. Questions? Contact the Help Desk at 319-356-0001.
- BeardUp this November to raise awareness for the UI Department of Urology Men’s Health Program. Join the BeardUp Facebook event, grow your facial hair, and post your best photos in November with the hashtag #BeardUpIowa. Trophies will be given in multiple categories. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Nominations are now open for the Culturally Responsive Health Care Award. Nominations can be made for an individual or group who practices intentional culturally responsive health care. Deadline to apply is Nov. 15.
- With recruitment season underway, Marketing and Communications has created a new “Living in Iowa City” brochure. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the quantity you need, and we’ll have them ready for pick up in our office, at W319 GH (Elevator BW, Level 3).
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- UI researchers are working on better understanding hazards of farm noise using a noise monitor, phone, and laptop. For more information, visit peters.lab.uiowa.edu.
Outside UI Health Care
The Iowa City Community School District was granted federal funding to support the district’s threat-assessment team in monitoring students’ social media, The Daily Iowan reports.
Participants can sign up for the 2020 Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa beginning Monday, The Des Moines Register reports.
Large parts of the U.S. may experience record low temperatures as an Arctic blast sweeps across the Midwest and Northeast through the middle of next week, CNN reports.
Hong Kong protesters gather to mourn a student who died after falling in a car park during pro-democracy demonstrations, Reuters reports.
There were 2,051 cases of lung injury linked to vaping as of Nov. 5, CNN reports.
Kathleen Doyle of the Iowa women’s basketball team reached a major career milestone last night at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, The Daily Iowan reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.