We are caring for 713 inpatients and have 2,986 outpatient visits today.
High: 81 Low: 59 Mostly sunny
High: 80 Low: 61 Partly sunny
Events: Join us
- Get your benefits questions answered by UI Benefits staff from 6:30 to 10 a.m. tomorrow, Fountain Dining Room (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Frontiers in Obesity, Diabetes, and Metabolism: 1 to 2 p.m. Monday, May 21, 1289 CBRB
- Iowa Lions Eye Bank Celebration of Hope and Renewal: 2 p.m. Thursday, May 24, Iowa Lions Donor Memorial and Healing Garden, outside Main Entrance (Elevator E, Level 1)
- Iowa Neuroscience Institute Seminar: David Jiles, PhD, noon to 1 p.m. Friday, May 25, 1289 CBRB
News: In The Loop
To wrap up Nurses Week, a recognition event was held to honor the 2018 Sally Mathis Hartwig scholarship winners, Nursing Excellence in Clinical Education Awards, Professional Recognition Program recent recipients, and the 100 Great Iowa Nurses selections.
Mark Niciu, MD, PhD, one of the newest members of the Iowa Neuroscience Institute, is studying the antidepressant mechanisms of an experimental drug that has shown to bring patients relief within hours.
The newest episode of The Short Coat Podcast explores creative writing about family strife while in medical school and being left behind by classmates as one med student continues her MD/PhD studies.
Pediatrician Meredith Fishbane-Gordon, MD, shares tips for preventing and managing tantrums in younger children.
- The west section of Hospital Parking Ramp 4 and the Family Care Center Parking Lot will be closed from 4 p.m. today through 3 a.m. Monday, May 21. The east section of Hospital Parking Ramp 4 will remain open. Remove vehicles from closed areas by 6 p.m. today.
- Level 2 of Colloton Pavilion between Elevators E and F will be closed from 6 p.m. today until 10 p.m. Sunday, May 20.
- Stop by Kaleidoscope Gift Shop and Safety Store (Level 1) at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital for gift cards to retail outlets, restaurants, and more—the perfect gift for any graduate. They accept cash, Visa/Mastercard/Discover, or staff charge.
The Safety Store (Level 1) at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is on pace to sell over 700 bike helmets this year.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- African Americans and Hispanic/Latinos ages 45 to 69 are invited to participate in the MOST Bone and Joint Health Study. Compensation. Contact 319-384-5050 or 800-814-9535 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Tanya Uden-Holman has been named the new associate provost for undergraduate education and dean of University College, Iowa Now reports. Currently the associate dean for academic affairs at the College of Public Health, she will begin her new role on June 15.
A day after a statewide alert, a South Carolina toddler has been found safe, and her parents have been arrested for kidnapping, KCRG reports. The parents, who do not have custody of the girl, took her on April 15.
Multiple people have died as a result of a shooting this morning at a high school in Santa Fe, Texas, CNN reports. A suspect has been arrested.
A child and a teacher were killed when a school bus full of fifth-graders collided with a dump truck on a New Jersey highway yesterday, ABC News reports.
The World Health Organization (WHO) says the ongoing Ebola outbreak in Congo does not yet warrant being declared a global health emergency, The Associated Press reports. The Congo outbreak now has 14 confirmed cases.
Nick Allgeyer’s strong outing from the mound and Chris Whelan’s three hits propelled the Iowa baseball team to a series-opening victory yesterday, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.