We are caring for 744 inpatients and have 3,147 outpatient visits today.
High: 35 Low: 29 Cloudy
High: 42 Low: 29 Rain
Broadcasts: Need to know
The Epic system will be unavailable tomorrow morning starting at 1 a.m. for approximately 2 hours for the upgrade to Epic version 2018. See the link above for more information on Epic downtime processes and recovery once the Epic upgrade is complete. Questions? Contact the HCIS Help Desk at 319-356-0001.
News: In The Loop
After interviewing all over the country, Allan Prichard decided to come to the UI to pursue his PhD in microbiology because of the way our researchers collaborate with faculty in UI Hospitals & Clinics.
Joe Schmuecker was given a Service Star Award for setting up a mailbox in the Pediatric Emergency Department for patients to write letters to Santa while they were in the ED. Joe then responded to each and every letter.
Each month in Noon News, we’re including new UI Health Care providers who have started during the previous month. Welcome February’s new hires: Elaine Binkley, MD, ophthalmologist, and Pixie Plummer, MD, psychiatrist.
In 1897, Zada Mary Cooper secured a place as the only female faculty member in the UI College of Pharmacy. She spent her life strategically harnessing the power of that position to knock down educational and professional barriers for the next generation of women, and to advance the profession as a whole.
Events: Join us
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar: Satyan Lakshminrusimha, MD, noon to 1 p.m. Monday, March 11, Conference Center 2415 JCP (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Community Engaged Research Lecture: 3 to 4 p.m. Monday, March 11, C44-A GH (Elevator BW, Level 4)
- Skills for Educators Workshop: Scholarship and Research, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday, March 15, Melrose Conference Rooms 1 and 2 (Elevator L, Level 5)
- Physicians: The voting period for the U.S. News “Best Hospitals” rankings is now open. If you registered with Doximity before Dec. 1, 2018, and are board-certified, you may be selected to vote. Please log in by March 20 to vote your support for the work you and your colleagues do in your specialty.
- Know someone who would make a great Kid Captain? Nominations are now open through March 17.
- The Bread Garden Cafe is now offering gift cards for any dollar amount. Stop by a UI Hospitals & Clinics location to purchase.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Seven- to 10-year-old children are invited to participate in a study to investigate how children learn to solve math problems. Email Andy at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Outside UI Health Care
A group of UI graduate students studying self-driving vehicles will give their research findings to Iowa City for use in city planning, KCRG reports.
On Sunday, Theater Lovett will perform its highly acclaimed show They Called Her Vivaldi at Hancher, The Daily Iowan reports.
The spring flood outlook indicates an even higher risk for nearly all of the local river forecast locations, including the potential to reach major flood stage, KCCI reports.
Experts say the spray approved this week by the FDA is the first truly new treatment for depression in decades, Health Line reports.
A blackout swept across Venezuela yesterday, leaving many states without power, CNN reports. Authorities quickly blamed the outage on anti-government saboteurs.
Iowa posted its worst offensive performance of the season in a 20-point loss to Wisconsin yesterday, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.