We are caring for 782 inpatients and have 3,286 outpatient visits today.
High: 43 Low: 27 Cloudy, breezy
High: 42 Low: 29 Partly cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
This year’s Health Sciences Research Day will take place Saturday, April 27, at the Iowa Memorial Union with a keynote lecture, poster session, mini-symposia, and vendor/research services fair.
The remaining guest rooms from the Helen Rossi Volunteer Guest House on 4 South General Hospital (Elevator C, Level 4) have been relocated to the Heartland Inn in Coralville. Read the FAQ on The Loop for more information.
News: In The Loop
A decade since its introduction, the Wahls Protocol—developed by UI physician Terry Wahls—continues to help those with autoimmune diseases improve their lives, Iowa Magazine reports.
New UI Health Care cycling jerseys can now be ordered; men’s and women’s styles are available. Orders must be placed by Tuesday, April 2. Your jersey will be delivered by May 24, just in time for your Memorial Day bike ride.
A Short Coat Podcast listener asks: Is it useful for students to join medical associations and societies? And get some financial budgeting advice for students.
Events: Join us
- National Nutrition Month Health Fair: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Science Thursdays is less than three weeks away, beginning again on Thursday, April 4.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Walk: 8:30 a.m., Saturday, April 27, Terry Trueblood Recreational Center, Iowa City
- 35th annual Red Shoe Run/Walk: 8:30 a.m. Sunday, May 5, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois
- BUILD: Beyond the Numbers: Foundations for Diversity and Inclusion Training, 9 a.m. to noon Thursday, May 9, 4999 JPP (Elevator I, Level 4)
- Know someone who would make a great Kid Captain? Nominations are open through Sunday, March 17.
- Social Work month recognizes social workers for the work they do to help patients and families: coordinating discharge planning, providing counseling services, problem solving, connecting patients and families to community resources, and advocating for patients’ and families’ choices. If you need a social worker, call 319-356-2207.
- Want fewer emails? UI employees may now opt out of certain categories of UI mass emails, such as student orgs and research recruitment. Log in to Employee Self Service and click on “Mass Email Filter Settings.”
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Men ages 58 to 80 with no metal implants are invited to participate as controls in a research study on metal hip replacements. Compensation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Faculty members in the College of Liberal Arts are petitioning for the UI to create a sick day bank for employees to use when they need to take long-term sick leave due to illness, The Daily Iowan reports.
FilmScene’s Women’s March celebrates Women’s History Month by showing only female-made films for the month, The Daily Iowan reports.
A federal judge has turned down a request to let more than 40 unvaccinated children return to classes in a suburban New York school while there’s a measles outbreak in the area, CNN reports.
In the Global Climate Strike, students are walking out of classrooms in over 100 countries to protest climate inaction today, CNN reports.
Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, BBC News reports. A gunman live-streamed the rampage on Facebook; he and three others have been detained.
A new musical based on the songs of Alanis Morissette features a story penned by Iowa alumna and Academy Award-winning screenwriter Diablo Cody, Iowa Magazine reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.