We are caring for 853 inpatients and have 3,697 outpatient visits today.
High: 36 Low: 21 Freezing rain
High: 24 Low: 8 Snow
Broadcasts: Need to know
The CDC is monitoring a reported cluster of pneumonia in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. There are no known U.S. cases, nor have cases been reported in countries other than China. If you feel you have assessed a patient who meets both severe respiratory disease and travel to Wuhan City, please contact the Program of Hospital Epidemiology.
The Fountain Entrance circle drive will be closed from 6:15 p.m. today until approximately 3 p.m. tomorrow for a crane to move materials and equipment up to the roof.
The entire pneumatic tube system at UI Hospitals & Clinics will be offline from approximately 8 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 12, to 4 a.m. Monday, Jan, 13. UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing is not impacted.
News: In The Loop
While cutting the last piece of PVC pipe he needed to complete his hydroponic growing system, Ray Eshelman lost control of his saw, cutting his right hand severely. After an airlift to UI Hospitals & Clinics, Ray got the expert help he needed.
CEO Suresh Gunasekaran talks about the importance of coordinated care, the demand for health care services, and what he envisions for the future, Becker’s Hospital Review reports.
Events: Join us
- Peer Supporter Training: 1 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8)
- VPMA State of the Enterprise: 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 16, Prem Sahai Auditorium (1110 MERF)
- Conversation with singer-songwriter and author Rosanne Cash: noon, Thursday, Feb. 6, MERF Atrium
- National Evidence-Based Practice Conference: April 15 and 16, Marriott Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
- Provider Communication Program: Various dates through June 2020, half-day program with follow-up coaching
- Children’s Miracle Network and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Discretionary Gift Fund requests for 2020 are open. The submission deadline is Friday, Feb. 14.
- The UI men’s basketball team will host a game today at 6 p.m. Traffic near Carver Hawkeye Arena may be heavy, and CAMBUS service may be delayed. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-1475.
- An electronic prescribing mandate is coming in early 2020. Learn what prescribers and pharmacists should know about the mandate and how it affects them.
- Sign up for the Live Healthy Iowa 10 Week Wellness Challenge, now with free registration! It’s a simple, friendly competition where teams track activity minutes and/or weight loss, beginning Monday, Jan. 13. And one of the easiest way to add exercise to your day? Taking the stairs!
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Men and women, ages 58–80 with no metal implants, are invited to participate as controls in a research study on metal hip replacements. This study will include one visit that will last approximately one hour and include a blood draw. Compensation. Email email@example.com or call 319-384-9643.
Outside UI Health Care
Hayden Fry’s family will be holding a celebration of life for the former Iowa head football coach in Texas on Jan. 25, with another celebration held on the UI campus at a later date, KCRG reports.
Winter storm warnings and advisories are in effect for much of eastern Iowa starting this afternoon at 3 p.m. until tomorrow night, KWWL reports.
Grasses, shrubs, and mosses are growing and expanding around Mount Everest and across the Himalayan region as the area continues to experience the consequences of global warming, CNN reports.
A New York teen reached for the stars last summer and found a one-of-a-kind planet, ABC News reports.
The crash of Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 with the loss of 176 lives came just hours after Iran carried out missile strikes on two airbases housing US forces in Iraq, BBC News reports.
The Hawkeye women’s basketball team defeated No. 16 Maryland to improve its record to 12-3, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.