We are caring for 779 inpatients and have 3,474 outpatient visits today.
High: 76 Low: 56 Cloudy
High: 70 Low: 59 Chance rain
Broadcasts: Need to know
The Board of Regents, State of Iowa, approved a new health plan called UISelect to be offered to benefit-eligible employees in addition to UIChoice. University Human Resources will offer extra time this fall to make informed selections and enroll in health plans. More details about the two medical plans, including a side-by-side comparison, are now available on the UI Benefits website.
News: In The Loop
The two students spent the summer developing their research skills by participating in the Carver College of Medicine’s FUTURE in Biomedicine program, which builds partnerships with Iowa colleges that don’t offer doctoral programs.
Parkinson’s disease (PD) can affect several of the abilities needed when driving, such as vision and motor control. Listen to this Parkinson’s Foundation podcast episode featuring UI’s Ergun Uc, MD, as he discusses the limitations, risks, and adjustments that can be made when driving with PD.
Join the Short Coat Podcast crew as they discuss what their White Coat Ceremony meant to them, as well as other medical news including a new organ and new Ebola treatment.
Events: Join us
- Iowa football health care appreciation game: 11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, Kinnick Stadium vs. Rutgers
- Iowa’s New Americans in the Workplace: Valuing Cultural Differences, 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 11, 112 University Services Building
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walk: 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, GreenState Credit Union, 2355 Landon Road, North Liberty
- Registration open for The Examined Life conference: Oct. 24 to 26, MERF, exploring the intersections between the arts and medicine
- The Hawkeyes kick off at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow against Miami (Ohio) in Kinnick Stadium. Learn more about getting to the hospital on game days, and see details for employee parking. Please help direct our patients and visitors to avoid Melrose Avenue, to park in Parking Ramps 1 or 2, and enter through the Main Entrance.
- During home football games, beginning one hour before kickoff until 30 minutes after the game ends, Level 12 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital is reserved solely for eligible pediatric patients, their parents, and siblings.
- The UI Carver College of Medicine’s Department of Pharmacology has been renamed to the Department of Neuroscience and Pharmacology, as of Aug. 1.
- There will be no Noon News on Monday, Sept. 2, in observation of Labor Day.
- UI Dance Marathon allocations applications for fall 2019 (new and renewal) are now available and are due. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Do you know an early-career scientist without independent funding who should be celebrated for groundbreaking work? Nominate them to be a STAT Wunderkind. Nominations are due Sept. 3.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Parents and their infants under 6 months are invited to a research study at the UI Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. Compensation. Contact Sleep Development Lab: 319-400-8540 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
A series of murals titled “Everyday Joy” aims to celebrate the idea of the joy and beauty found in daily life and to honor the memory of UI student Mollie Tibbetts, The Daily Iowan reports.
MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center announced yesterday that the closure is effective Oct. 1. The program had been suspended earlier this year as hospital officials questioned the need for two transplant centers in Des Moines, KCRG reports.
The ‘entirety of Florida’ could be hit by Hurricane Dorian when it makes landfall as a monster storm
All of Florida is under a state of emergency, and authorities are urging residents to stockpile a week’s worth of food and supplies as Hurricane Dorian gathers strength and aims to slam the state as soon as Monday as a Category 4 storm, CNN reports.
Tesla owners in California can now buy insurance from the electric car company in what may be the first step toward the unconventional automaker providing coverage for a fleet of driverless taxis, The Associated Press reports.
The Court of Session in Edinburgh refused to take immediate legal action to prevent Boris Johnson from suspending Parliament for several weeks before the Brexit deadline of Oct. 31, The Associated Press reports.
Bills placekicker Stephen Hauschka vows to help Carli Lloyd if the U.S. soccer star makes the career move from soccer forward to NFL placekicker, ESPN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.