We are caring for 728 inpatients and have 2,791 outpatient visits today.
High: 85 Low: 64 Mostly sunny
High: 86 Low: 65 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Student move-in may impact traffic starting Aug. 12
Students will move into university residence halls from Sunday, Aug. 12, through Saturday, Aug. 18. Traffic may be heavy, especially on Grand Avenue, and delays to transit services are possible. Allow extra travel time to reach destinations.
News: In The Loop
Throughout August, we’ll feature several UI Health Care staff members and volunteers whose work is on exhibit in the 40th Annual Staff Art Show. Allison Heady, a clerk at UI Hospitals and Clinics, used crayon and watercolor paper to create her piece, “Say What?”
Congratulations to four UI Health Care volunteers who were recently recognized for hour milestones: Anne Edwards, Kay Seagren, and Shams Ghoneim reached 1,000 hours of service, and Florence Martinson was honored for her contribution of 20,000 hours.
Events: Join us
- Get your benefits questions answered and submit documentation for dependent eligibility verification: 7 to 11 p.m. tomorrow, Marketplace Dining Room (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Hardin Open Workshop, Embase, 1 to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16, East Commons, Hardin Library
- United States Patent and Trademark Office’s China Intellectual Property Roadshow: 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 28, 295 Boyd Law Building
- Stem cell registry drive: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, MERF courtyard
- Medical Illustration for Physicians and Basic Scientists, faculty workshop: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 31, HP Smith Conference Room W256 GH (Elevator B, Level 2)
- UI Carver College of Medicine Distinguished Alumni Awards: Nominate alumni who have improved the delivery of health care, enhanced the training of future clinicians and scientists, or conducted groundbreaking research. Deadline Saturday, Sept. 1.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies with investigators. Participation in any study is voluntary. Compensation available for some studies. Call 319-335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit aging.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
To prepare for St. Jude’s Sweet Corn Festival, 25,000 ears of corn are shucked, cleaned, chopped, and cooked—and nearly all of it will be eaten, CBS 2 reports.
Equipment improvements and fluctuating crop prices mean that anyone striving to farm full time in 2018 would have to be responsible for at least twice as much ground compared to 30 years ago, according to U.S. News & World Report.
A forecast model from the National Weather Service shows how smoke from the wildfires scorching California is traveling about 3,000 miles away to New York City, CNN reports.
A 4.4 magnitude earthquake struck the area of Hawaii affected by the Kilauea volcano eruptions yesterday, Newsweek reports.
Ava Blaser, 10, was diagnosed with cancer in both kidneys, and despite long hours of chemo, continues to pursue her passion: dance, CBS News reports.
A key series between two National League playoff contenders will start today at Wrigley Field when the Chicago Cubs host the Washington Nationals, according to Bleacher Report.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.