Keeping you in The Loop
Brittany Kloft, RN, staff nurse in the Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU), knows her work requires a team approach. As she recalls a critically ill patient with COVID-19 for whom she cared, Kloft was especially grateful for the support of her team.
When Alan Leff appeared to have run out of treatment options for severe aortic stenosis, the UI Heart and Vascular Center found a new one for him: a highly specialized procedure called transcaval TAVR that had never been performed in Iowa before.
In this episode of CME’s podcast Rounding@IOWA, host Gerry Clancy, MD—with guests, Lastascia Coleman, ARNP, and David Moser, PhD—discusses implicit and unconscious bias in health care and how to improve the patient and work environment.
- The Lower Level main corridor between Elevators F and G will be closed from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. tomorrow.
- The UI football team will hold an open practice at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow. Traffic may be heavier around Kinnick Stadium and UI Hospitals & Clinics at this time.
- Have an upcoming event or announcement? Need research subjects? Have a story idea? Submit your information to Noon News or The Loop for consideration.
Did you know that Recreational Services has opportunities to help improve your health and well-being through safe exercise?
We Stand Together
During Donate Life Month, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital displays blue and green lights as a way to honor organ and tissue donors and thank everyone for helping the nearly 600 Iowans awaiting organ donation.
By the numbers
Total inpatients: 795 today
Total outpatient visits: 3,176 today
C-19 adult inpatients: 17 yesterday, 487 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 1 yesterday, 34 to date
% positive symptomatic C-19 test results**: 11% yesterday, 14% to date
Telehealth screenings***: 181 yesterday, 19,845 to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported)*: 1 yesterday, 1,633 to date
Employees who have received the first COVID-19 vaccine dose: 132 yesterday, 14,996 to date
Employees who have received both the first and second/final COVID-19 vaccine doses: 24 yesterday, 12,866 to date
Events: Join us
- Virtual information session on the COVID-19 vaccines: 10 a.m. tomorrow, featuring Pat Winokur, MD.
- liveWELL training: Wellness benefits: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. on Monday, April 19, via Zoom.
- Register for the Red Shoe Run & Walk 5K, sponsored by UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital: 10 a.m. to noon on Sunday, May 2.
Outside UI Health Care
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission met with the Iowa City City Council last night for the first time after being suspended, reports KCRG.
April temperatures started off in the 70s, but now seem to be stuck in a cool, gloomy pattern, reports KGAN.
Iowa’s three public universities will not require students or staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19, reports Little Village Magazine.
Karl Bly said he was swimming in the Sacramento area when he found the gold ring, reports United Press International.
A 1-0 upset win over Penn State in the semifinals vaulted the Iowa soccer team into Sunday’s Big Ten Championship, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.